• Show
Clear All
  • O-pos
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2005

Converting DVDs with mplayer

Hello,

I discovered that mplayer has very powerful video editing features. and that it can convert DVD videos to avi files using mencoder. I already tried and it was really very impressing.

Now I think to convert one DVD and then burn the avi file as a cd. that means that it shouldn't be larger than 700 MB. previous avi files which I created with mplayer are 740-760 MB. So I'd wonder whether there's something wich can tell mplayer not to create file larger than 700 MB and instead decrease a quality a little bit. ???

Also, to get an english movie from multi-language dvd, I know that I have to include "-alang en, -slang en" somewherem but where? should I put it in second-pass order before the filename?

Mplayer is really good player indeed
    Last edited by admin; 6 May 2007, 12:35 PM.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

Now I think to rip one DVD and then burn the avi file as a cd. that means that it shouldn't be larger than 700 MB.
    It will only be larger than 700MB if you set the bitrate accordingly. Either Use a bitrate calculator or set -716800 as the bitrate (or a little lower).

Also, to get an english movie from multi-language dvd, I know that I have to include "-alang en, -slang en" somewherem but where? should I put it in second-pass order before the filename?
    I would rather extract audio and mux afterwards, but with mplayer, run

Code:
    -v | grep "audio stream"
    to get the audio ID, then "select" it by adding

Code:
    -aid x
    where x is the audio ID.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• O-pos
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by anonymez
      I would rather extract audio and mux afterwards, but with mplayer, run

Code:
      -v | grep "audio stream"
      to get the audio ID, then "select" it by adding

Code:
      -aid x
      where x is the audio ID.
      you mean first I have to create avi file with multiple audio streams and then modifying it by removing extra audio streams? what about subtitles?

Regarding byterate, I don't set it, it picks up certaing default vaule. yesterday I ripped pirates of caribbean 2 special edition, and the output avi file was 1,3 GB. however, not with very best quality.

Code:
       Video stream:  799.964 kbit/s  (99995 B/s)  size: 867005293 bytes  8670.440 secs  216765 frames

Audio stream:  448.000 kbit/s  (56000 B/s)  size: 485547776 bytes  8670.496 secs

should I insert somewhere "bitrate=716800" or "-bitrate 716800"?

Also, it seems that mplayer doesn't keep the video aspect ratio but instead makes every avi files with default 4:3 ratio. Is there any easy way to overcome this?
      Last edited by O-pos; 6 May 2007, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

you mean first I have to create avi file with multiple audio streams and then modifying it by removing extra audio streams?
        No, only that you specify which audio stream you wish to keep with the aid parameter.

A search reveals a brief guide, should help with audio and subs.

should I insert somewhere "bitrate=716800" or "-bitrate 716800"?
        Code:
        bitrate=-716800
        Also, it seems that mplayer doesn't keep the video aspect ratio but instead makes every avi files with default 4:3 ratio. Is there any easy way to overcome this?
        That's because you did not resize. For an anamorphic encode you can set aspect ratio but I forgot what the command was, you can look it up in mplayer's online documentation. I would recommend using MKV or MP4 instead of AVI.

Comment

• O-pos
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Dec 2005

Thanks, I'll take it into consideration when I'll rip next DVD.

mplayer is as good and powerful for video, as foobar2000 is for audio. It's pity that there's no foobar for Linux.

I saw mplayer screenshots and there were very interesting terminal highlightings by color coding. it would be very useful for quick overview what's happening in terminal when using mplayer. Do you have any idea how can I color-highlight my terminal?

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

It's pity that there's no foobar for Linux.
            Well Sonata comes close in the looks department, but I like Quod Libet.

it would be very useful for quick overview what's happening in terminal when using mplayer
            Incase you didn't know, you can run it from the terminal

Code:
            mplayer '/path/to/file.mpg'
            Do you have any idea how can I color-highlight my terminal?
            No, never looked into it.

Comment

• O-pos
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Dec 2005

Thanks for the link.

Incase you didn't know, you can run it from the terminal
              I run it mostly from the terminal, but everything is black there, so not so comfortable for quick overview..

Comment

• O-pos
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Dec 2005

I downloaded sonata, but when I'm trying to install, I get the message "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: Python"

I checked synaptec, Python 2.5.1. - the latest - is already installed on my computer. Should I install something else?

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

Synaptic has the older 1.0 release, but the 1.01 packages linked to on the website seem to be for edgy (which usually shouldn't be a problem). You'll have to compile it. BTW since it's an MPD client and not a standalone player it will be a little harder to set up.

Comment

• O-pos
                    Gold Member
                    Gold Member
                    • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by anonymez
                    it will be a little harder to set up.
                    Especially for me

Is there any .deb installer available? (like you gave me the link for mplayer .deb installer).. ?

Comment

• anonymez
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2004

Not that I know of... but where's the fun in that!? Get compiling.

Comment

• rdsmith12
                        • Feb 2010

I'm just getting started burning dvds with Ubuntu (Karmic). Found this tutorial for adding the Medibuntu repository to Synaptic. The repos has libdvdcss2, libdvdread4, mplayer, w32codecs, etc. I just added the deb for medibuntu in Synaptic then ran the terminal command to get the repos verification key. Look for unixmen.com linux-tutorials Enhance Ubuntu with Medibuntu. Tried to post a link but since this my first post here , I can't. Just noticed they have a tutorial for installing mplayer in Ibex.

Comment

Working...