Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

some bad flashes are terminal, some leave a drive in safe mode and can be reflashed, some are like any flash, just reflash

Comment

• zebadee
      • Jun 2007

Originally Posted by gary172
      @lostinlodos2, et al:
      OK: I'm totally confused. Is there really an issue or not? The burner firmware could not be backflashed? Not even in DOS mode or safe mode?
      Exactly what M/S upgrade/update was done?

Kindest Regards
      Hi
      Many official flashers will only go one way. Their site will usually state this along which such info in the download itself.
      Most patched f/w will allow going either way. Some will allow crossflashing.
      None of these flashers are affected by the OS.
      It is the flasher itself that dictates what can & can't be done.
      I have not seen any MS upgrade/update relating to MS drivers. The current ones were released in the middle of last year. Before the official release of Vista. These drivers are the same for Vista, XP etc.

Comment

• lostinlodos2
        • Oct 2005

Sorry everyone if I bounce around a little on this but I'll try to cover you all, If I miss something let me know

@Zeb: The "lock" as I stated, is part of Microsoft's user permissions functions. I've managed to completely remove defender, windows messenger, and firewall; but I'm still having trouble getting the rest of the system opened back up.
        If particular updates (firmware flashes included) are made Windows will lock out access by other software to particular portions or operations. That includes Optical and Hard drives, the processor, bios, ram, and just about anything else plugged in. It's at their discretion; not ours. Hence AnyDVD et al not working any more. It's under Administrative protections, not Defender protections.

I did note I was able to correct the problem firmware outside of Vista. Probably your one-way note above, but it was NOT mentioned on the site. What ever the reasons were, they worked together to be one hell of a problem. Microsoft blocking my LEGAL apps from not working is a bit much. If that didn't happen I would never have noticed an issue with the firmware flash.

Yes: Vista X64. The Windows-Driver Standard Driver Server is a new (Vista) MSDN project that is covering new driver releases for both X32 and X64. You can receive notices of new drivers by signing up for the Developers Network via Windows Live and then setting your account settings to show 'new releases and beta software' in updates (in your MSDN Account Settings). You'll also need to set windows update to search for "other products and services from Microsoft" using "Microsoft Update" rather than the standard Windows Update. I'm not a member of the project so I can't go beyond that, but they have a few threads on the MSDN group and if you right-click on the updates once they're enabled, and chose 'tell me more' it's referred to as "lWindows-Driver Standard Driver Server group". They were responsible for the drivers in RC versions of Vista Beta.

@locoeng: Clicked on the wrong drive, sorry 'bout the confusion. That's a great drive, too, 'though. I've had it since it came out and it never gave me a bad burn; even on damaged media. They run about $40-$60 on secondary sites to get one new. If you've ever held one loose, it's a heavy beast of a drive. VERY well built and almost 1.5 LB on the original model (the second A and B versions were lighter). I had to use 8 screws to hold it tight in place without bending my aluminium frame. ^_^

@gonwk: I moved to vista because of the price: free. One of the benefits of doing public reviews; free stuff. -_^

@gary172: I couldn't go backwards in Vista. I managed to get it back to spec under XP.
        http://wiki.digital-digest.com/index.php/History_of_AV
        http://wiki.digital-digest.com/index.php/Main_Page
        About me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lostinlodos

Comment

• zebadee
          • Jun 2007

Hi
          @lostinlodos2
          Well I don't want to get embroiled in some debate.
          All I will say in this is that I have/am beta testing both Vista 32 bit & IE7 variations.
          I have never experienced the problems to which you relate. (Even when trying to-Have seen links in other place thank you).
          I find it strange that so little is being experienced by the masses who auto update.
          As far as this 'write protection' If this is the correct terminology (so it is what you really mean). Then this involves adding to or editing the bootcode of the EEPROM. Something that even under flashing f/w updates would not usually happen. It would certainly require the manufacturers permission in order to do this officially.
          As for the "lock" being of MS user functions (thereby taking a software route). I've not seen this in relation to the statement you make regarding ODs'. All of the 'permissions' can be accessed via Defender > Explorer. You can turn on or off, even remove any & all instructions that are to be found here.
          Last edited by zebadee; 12 Jun 2007, 04:04 AM.

Comment

• lostinlodos2
            • Oct 2005

>As posted<
            Alright: here's the update...
            I tracked the problem by going back (records/history) to day one and stepping through everything I did update/upgrade/patch wise on a clean-bill system. I think I found where the issues are and it may not be a mass-population issue YET; but at the rate that the content protection updates are being rolled out; it will probably be in one of the next few updates

Related Tech info:
            Vista64 Ultimate Edition (Direct from Microsoft) (OEM version)
            Drives affected: LiteOn SHO SHOW SHW drives (maybe more)
            >note< completely uninstalled windows firewall, windows defender, windows messenger and turned off automatic updates (set to not check for updates)

Installed Microsoft Update from the Windows Update centre

Updated completely from Microsoft Update (NOT Windows Update). If it was there; I installed it. Tested after each single update; no problem.

Initialized my Windows Live account and logged my system in with the MSDN server; and registered for "Show Beta Services and Updates in Microsoft Update...".

Ran Microsoft Update again and still no noticeable problems

Updated firmware from LiteOn site: drives locked. Can't flash backwards at all.

Updated Drivers for the DVD burners by:
            right clicking one the drive in device manager and clicking "Update Driver Software"
            choosing Search Automatically
            Clicking on install for the update it found.

AnyDVD no longer recognizes DVDs when they are inserted with the software running. Windows reports DVD-ROM movies as being blank media.
            AnyDVD hangs system reading VCDs
            AnyDVD hangs system reading HVDs
            >note< AnyDVD and Windows can both read/recognize DVDs, VCD, ...... if the disc is inserted BEFORE I turn on AnyDVD. AnyDVD works fine if it is loaded after the disc is inserted.

Updated the Driver by right clicking on the drive in device manager and choosing search Windows Live MSDN network and selecting the 'new' driver found in that search.

All non-Microsoft DVD/CD related software can no longer read discs. Nothing reads anywhere when AnyDVD running. AnyDVD can no longer read a disc if it is loaded after the disc is inserted.

Windows Media Player can read CDs/DVDs still at this point if the system is booted with AnyDVD not set to auto-load and it is not loaded at any point. Nero still can not recognize writeable blanks. IMGBurn can not recognize writeable blanks. The windows feature to burn data to a blank disc still works.

Guess it's a two-pronged issue. The update seams to lock out my drives ONLY on this system at the point that I updated them. If nothing else; it's a sign of what's to come and still a valid warning for the NEAR-future.
            Last edited by lostinlodos2; 17 Jun 2007, 08:00 PM.

Comment

• pfloyd
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Jun 2007

Quit using AnyDVD..?
              You raise the blade,
              You make the change,
              You rearange me till I'm sane.
              You lock the door, throw away
              the key,
              There's someone in my head
              and it's not me.

Comment

• lostinlodos2
                • Oct 2005

As in did I? Or I Should?

Comment

• pfloyd
                  Platinum Member
                  Platinum Member
                  • Jun 2007

You should. I use regionfree+CSS. I never have any problems flashing my Liteys at all.
                  You raise the blade,
                  You make the change,
                  You rearange me till I'm sane.
                  You lock the door, throw away
                  the key,
                  There's someone in my head
                  and it's not me.

Comment

Working...