which antivirus prog for video editing PC ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Merlin
    • Jul 2006

which antivirus prog for video editing PC ?

It is said to not have a virus checker running when editing, capturing etc, something using system resources and scanning in the background can cause problems. McAfee hides even the viruscan turnoff option and only start>run gets to the option to stop it. This still leaves the prog background scanning I am told. AVG can turn off all at once, but I am not so keen on their spam email trap preferring address book related admissions which is McAfee, thus not sure what to do here. How crucial is it nowadays to disable progs when capturing. I also need to disable such for some software installs.
    What prog should I get ?
    Merlin
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

McAfee, Norton's and AOL come to mind as very intrusive programs with a lot of components/processes, which are hard to kill.

Unfortunately when you try to have real time protection then there are so many levels of threats today that it takes a broad defense.

Everything depends upon how much horsepower your computer has and what other programs you have running. I just found out today that a couple of my programs were interfering with the verification of burned dvd's in ImgBurn.

The safest approach is to not let any of these programs start at bootup, do your captures or video conversions, then start the programs for protection manually.

the best video machine never gets on the internet

Even avs or avast is hard to keep from loading, services.msc is a useful tool.

Comment

• NightbladeXX
      Digital Putz
      • Jan 2006

Chewy, AVG is pretty minimal on the system when its running, usually what I recommend to have running in background, when your main AV like Kaspersky sucks up too much resources

http://www.steelers.com/

AMD FX-62 @3.2GHz
      2GB of Corsair XMS 4-4-4-12 @ 860 MHz soon to be 4GB
      MSI K9N Diamond nForce 590 SLI
      nVidia 8800 GTS 320 MB
      650W PSU + 465W (external)
      6 WD HD's 2x500, 2x320, 250, and 36GB Raptor + 200 External for Vista HP back ups
      LG DVD+RW
      Koolance EXOS Coolant System
      Buffalo Link Station Live 500GB NAS
      Dual Acer 2223's (22") Monitors
      Antec 900 Case custom painted interior black w/ 4 120mm blue fans + 200mm top vent
      Vista Home Premium 32 bit
      Vista Ultimate 64 bit (new)
      XP Professional 32 bit
      Ubuntu 7.04

Comment

Working...