• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Cclean and what shoudn't or can't be removed:

hi fellas, used Cclean to get rid of norton. now i want to get rid of virtually anything i don't need outside of my burning applications, anti-virus, spyware, and if i'm not mistaken my dos which is windows xp. what needs to stay so my pc keeps running and what can i get rid off w/out hurting it? there's a whole list of updates to windows for example in my control panel. is this list the actual updates or can i delete it as they're only the names to the updates?
    putting it simply if i can get rid of everything except what needs to remain i want to do that. ie:media center. have no use for it.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
  • ed klein
    Banned
    • Mar 2004

1. CCcleaner V200.500 use the default settings they are all you need to clean house on your computer. (clean once per day)

2. http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
    Use this to get rid of the the 3 versions of useless start-ups if your looking for performance on your computer. (this will really put the zip back in your computer)

3. Defrag once per day and get a good registry cleaner to use once per week

4. If you want to clean-out your internet logs that CCcleaner does not clean-out
    C:/windows/internet logs
    delete the following word files
    fwpktlog
    tvdebug
    fwdbglog

be sure you close all running programs before you delete or they will not delete. After reboot the files will be reinstated and start from scratch again.

5. CCcleaner sub-menu cookies, the cookies you use quite often, be sure you put them on the right side of the sub-menu cookies, so when you do the cleaning they will not be removed and the programs should load faster.

Last edited by ed klein; 23 Sep 2007, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

Here's a good site for listing of XP and Vista Services with advice on which to disable:

Welcome to my little spot on the internet. My name is Black Viper. Enjoy your stay!

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
        Here's a good site for listing of XP and Vista Services with advice on which to disable:

http://www.blackviper.com/index.html
        hi miles, great site. can you give me a tip on how i can view this site and at the same time see what i have on my list and disable what's recommended? i don't have a printer, but i'm pretty sure there's a quick way to do this while i'm online. thnx.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

I have used blackviper with mixed results, it's really a dangerous optimization, hope you know how to reload your computer, many end up doing that after disabling the wrong service

pretty heady stuff and very complexe

I prefer to disable only the services I know are useless(imapi one does native support for cd burning) messenger etc

the rest if they misbehave I switch from auto to manual, some of them are added to run programs that I don't want to load at boot

go slow and just do one or two at at time

tile windows horizontaly
          Attached Files

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

dr_ml422, I have a folder on the desktop "System Tools" and I paste shortcuts to things I need frequently. One of them is "Services." In Control Panel=>Administrative Tools you'll see "Services" Just right click the mouse and Copy, then Paste Shortcut into your tools folder. Then you don't have to hunt it down every time. Like Chewy says, you should only make 1 change on each go and you should have some idea what the service does. On my Media Center PC I made a change to do with the Media Center stuff because I don't do TV Capture, and it didn't want to boot. I unplugged a USB camera that was hanging the boot. Usually if the boot just stalls with no error it's some hardware it can't handle. If you only change one item then it's easy to reverse once you
            can boot up.

AFA Black Viper goes, I haven't tried the "Super Tweaks." It's just a good site to get some idea what these services do. Some of the descriptions read like alchemy. You need to read descriptions from 2 or 3 places on some of them to fathom what the thing does. Educated trial and error.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

yeah you guys are definitely on target when it comes to black viper. i think i disabled some stuff that prevented dvd20ne's trial version from burning and even copying. it's good now cause i went back and put some things on manual. thing is like you recommended, chewy, i don't know which one did what. i'll tackle this 1 at a time like you suggested.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

Originally Posted by Chewy
                I have used blackviper with mixed results, it's really a dangerous optimization, hope you know how to reload your computer, many end up doing that after disabling the wrong service

pretty heady stuff and very complexe

I prefer to disable only the services I know are useless(imapi one does native support for cd burning) messenger etc

the rest if they misbehave I switch from auto to manual, some of them are added to run programs that I don't want to load at boot

go slow and just do one or two at at time

tile windows horizontaly
                chewy i know messenger's useless. did you mean imapi one is useless also? services says my pc won't be able to burn cd's w/out it.

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

now you see why I didn't include black viper or services.msc in my power user sticky

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

the imapi service is used by certain programs and xp to burn cd's

it's a headache as far as I am concerned

my programs work fine with it disabled
                    Attached Files

Comment

• NightbladeXX
                      Digital Putz
                      • Jan 2006

yeah Chewy you are a genius to not recommend such tools as even CCLeaner can DO too much

before using Blackviper I would use services.msc and make sure you research every service and disable any questionable ones one at a time, the problem is if you disable too many and then 3 weeks later you fire up program X and now its not working as it needed one of those services to function, but now you havta figure out which one.

When stopping services I always document which ones I did in a handy text file, yeah its a PITA but trying to remmeber WTH u disabled is even more a PITA

Document document document, as my ol' sarge at the PD said

wiht it documented its easy to turn em all back on one at time til you find out which one that program needed.

http://www.steelers.com/

AMD FX-62 @3.2GHz
                      2GB of Corsair XMS 4-4-4-12 @ 860 MHz soon to be 4GB
                      MSI K9N Diamond nForce 590 SLI
                      nVidia 8800 GTS 320 MB
                      650W PSU + 465W (external)
                      6 WD HD's 2x500, 2x320, 250, and 36GB Raptor + 200 External for Vista HP back ups
                      LG DVD+RW
                      Koolance EXOS Coolant System
                      Buffalo Link Station Live 500GB NAS
                      Dual Acer 2223's (22") Monitors
                      Antec 900 Case custom painted interior black w/ 4 120mm blue fans + 200mm top vent
                      Vista Home Premium 32 bit
                      Vista Ultimate 64 bit (new)
                      XP Professional 32 bit
                      Ubuntu 7.04

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

falling off the log

Originally Posted by NightbladeXX
                        When stopping services I always document which ones I did in a handy text file, yeah its a PITA but trying to remmeber WTH u disabled is even more a PITA
                        Yeah I should log everything I install after a system backup instead of thinking I'll remember what's not restored when the time comes. Why are good habits such a chore and bad habits so much fun?

Comment

• NightbladeXX
                          Digital Putz
                          • Jan 2006

well when you're working on several systems at a time you learn to document them or you wind up wasting your time

but I hear ya

http://www.steelers.com/

AMD FX-62 @3.2GHz
                          2GB of Corsair XMS 4-4-4-12 @ 860 MHz soon to be 4GB
                          MSI K9N Diamond nForce 590 SLI
                          nVidia 8800 GTS 320 MB
                          650W PSU + 465W (external)
                          6 WD HD's 2x500, 2x320, 250, and 36GB Raptor + 200 External for Vista HP back ups
                          LG DVD+RW
                          Koolance EXOS Coolant System
                          Buffalo Link Station Live 500GB NAS
                          Dual Acer 2223's (22") Monitors
                          Antec 900 Case custom painted interior black w/ 4 120mm blue fans + 200mm top vent
                          Vista Home Premium 32 bit
                          Vista Ultimate 64 bit (new)
                          XP Professional 32 bit
                          Ubuntu 7.04

Comment

• MilesAhead
                            Eclectician
                            • Nov 2006

heh heh

Originally Posted by NightbladeXX
                            well when you're working on several systems at a time you learn to document them or you wind up wasting your time

but I hear ya
                            Heh. 'spose I should get around to findin' a way to use the OS logs semi-automatically or something. At least I would if I was ambitious.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • May 2007

cleaning up pc:

chewy thnx for that info on imapi. i disabled it and things so far are ok. also thnx to miles ahead for the info on cleaning up and for nightblades suggestion on documentating everything before i play pc doctor. best thing to do is 1 thing at a time. gotta check if anything i disabled is messing w/my new sata lite-on as i mentioned in my other thread. i doubt it though. i used it several times w/no problem.

Comment

Working...