• Jensen
    Better to be pissed off than pissed on!
    • Aug 2007

So ready boost is bad???

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

What's "good" or "bad" depends on what you want to do. When my HD is working I want to know why. So I turn off the stuff that makes it run on. That's how I like to run. You may have different ideas.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

If you don't have enough ram and vista keeps paging out small bits to the swap file on a slow hard drive and you have ready boost on a fast usb2 drive setup, it's probably good

are you sure you aren't talking about superfetch instead?

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

Yup. Superfetch definitely runs my HD on. I can't say what RamBoost does because it won't let me try it out on any USB drives I happen to own. From what I read on other
          forums the effect is negligible. It's just another thing not to load into memory since
          I can't use it.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

with 2 gigs of ram, superfetch is gonna load the kitchen sink and then some into physical ram, just have a frontal lobotomy and let vista think for you

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

I already noted earlier in the thread how I set Superfetch to automatic, then Stop the service a bit after bootup. Otherwise the boots are horribly slow. This one-liner kills
              Superfetch without having to load the Services Applet:

C:\Windows\System32\sc.exe stop SysMain

It seems too that if you run with a swapfile, the system pages out more of the kernel.
              That's probably why response seems snappier without the swap. Most of the kernel is
              in ram. At least by casual observation. I haven't really analyzed it. It feels faster so
              I'm happy.

Comment

• subsang
                • Sep 2007

Posting after a gap in this forum

I finally assembled a PC for my home use including video editing.

The configuration is

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 proc
                Intel DG33BU Mobo (GPU planned later)
                Kingston 2 x 1GB PC6400 Cl 5 RAM
                WD 80GB SATA, 7200RPM HDD for programmes
                WD 500GB SATA, 7200RPM HDD for files
                LG 20X DVD Super Multi
                GIGABYTE GZX2 case
                AC Bel 500W PSU

I chose VISTA Home Premium as the OS.

All things installed properly.

When I tried to download DV from the cam through the Firewire the DV Cam is not detected. Camera is Panasonic NV GS80. the port is enabled in the new PC. Right now the video is getting downloaded in my laptop with XP Home without any problem.

Any clue?

Thanks
                Subbu

Comment

• Jensen
                  Better to be pissed off than pissed on!
                  • Aug 2007

Originally Posted by MilesAhead

disk defrag - I use Auslogics free one but that's cuz I'm cheap
                  Is there a way to set Auslogics to defrag all HDD's?

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Jensen
                    Is there a way to set Auslogics to defrag all HDD's?
                    They say upcoming in next version:

Comment

• cynthia
                      Super Moderatress
                      • Jan 2004

There is also JkDefrag - this program will defrag all disks.

A nice GUI can be found here.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2007

[quote=MilesAhead;548688]As I mentioned, if you can tune your PC like mine depends if you use
                        it like I do. AFA defragging goes, I defrag manually probably 3
                        times a week on average. But, I tend to keep my drives 70% free space
                        or better. So defrag only takes about 20 minutes max. (If I have large
                        files on the drive I wait until I'm done with them, delete 'em, then defrag.)

hi miles. 70% is about where i keep my free space at, but that's just been by coincidence. i still have xp sp2, and will continue to do so because of the mere circumstances, and total proof of how much of a pita Vista is, and how Billy Boy just threw it out as a beta. that said, how many gigs you have on your hd w/the 70%? i only have 80gb on my hd, and i don't use anything except the more popular burning, copying, apps., and my security which includes zonealarm, spybot, and the real hog of them all avast. it's working fine, especially as i just put 2 gb of ram, but i can imagine if i was using more apps., and had more space, if that 70% would still produce the way it is now?
                        SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                          Eclectician
                          • Nov 2006

A previous machine running XP Home SP 1 had an 80 GB HD. I probably used about 40 to 45% capacity on it, but I had software development packages on. The only point of the large freespace is defrags are quicker. Since they are quicker you can easily do them more often. Since you can easily do them more often, you don't have to be as thorough, making them even quicker... if you pack up your HD 80% capacity then defrags are tedious, so you don't want to do them... so when you do, you tend to try to be thorough.. which slows them down... it's a cycle both ways. If you can run with lots of free space it just makes keeping things tuned less of a chore.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • May 2007

hi miles. is there a different way of defragging then just going to properties, tools, then clicking on defrag? once you click it starts defragging unless you click cancel. i would expect that at 40 to 45% you're machine must of been pretty slow, unless you had a great mobo, processor, and more than the usual 512 of ram. the more space you use up w/the processor, and ram you have would determine speed, and efficiency. if this e310 dell i have now w/the 2gb ram i put in were to be 40 to 45% full i'd doubt i'd b able to back up videos, and anything else as fast as i do now. i'm just trying to get a benchmark as to how i'd fare if i was to add some extras on my machine. i'm even hesitant to add adobe to read pdf files, or even put my webcam back on. 80% on this machine i have would paralyze me. guess you're just giving that as an example?

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                              Eclectician
                              • Nov 2006

There are some pretty good free and paid 3rd party defraggers around. I make the point about not needing to be thorough because I usually use Auslogics free defragger. It doesn't do a lot of stuff that others will, like putting boot files at the front of the disk etc.. but I do one of those super thorough defrags every few months. The rest of the time I just do a quick and dirty defrag with Auslogics. But I usually do it at least 2 or 3 times a week. Right after I delete large files is the best time. Then it often completes in less than 10 minutes. No drudgery. I'm not trying to say you should use your machine like I do. The only point I'm making when I post my tweaks is they work for me and this is how I use my machine. If you use your PC differently, they may not work so well for you. It's just educated trial and error.

Before I try out a defragger I try to look around to get a whiff of PCs getting hosed. A good place is if they have a support forum on their page. Sometimes you'll see a lot of problems with one particular version or PCs that sound similar to yours or whatnot. Nowadays it's not as tricky since XP has APIs for defrag functions built into the OS and most of the XP defrag programs use them. In the old days it was pretty much just an exe file with maybe a dll to get by user level privilege and it just did whatever it wanted to your disk. In any case a backup that you're sure actually restores is a good tool to have.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • May 2007

i'm just curious as to the storage, processor, and ram you have as well as the % free space that is causing you to take 10 min. even w/the dirty defrag. can you give me a heads up on that? believe me the tips i've taken from you guys have all panned out when relative. if i could avoid headaches by the experience of others it saves me one too. if you know what i mean.

Comment

Working...