X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

The particulars are in my sig.

The main factor is HD free space rather than memory or speed.
    Esp. if you delete gigantic files, such as multi-gb video files,
    right before a defrag, the defragger can put lots of stuff in
    the freed up space instead of moving it to the interior of the
    HD first, then shuffling it back. If you require super thorough
    defrags that position applications at particular places on the
    drive that's going to slow things down.

Anyway, try a few different schemes and see what works for you.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 25 Feb 2008, 08:57 AM. Reason: fix spelling mostly

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

i get you now. i probably missed the hd you had. yeah i figured you was working w/something way more than 80gb. also your processor, and ram make a helluva difference performance wise. i guess that defragger just keeps things cleaner, and maximizes all the space available on your hd. that's cool. 70% free space leaves you w/about 350gb of storage. more or less. depending on where your processor is benchmarked will also determine how much more efficient your pc is together w/the occupied space, and the amount of ram your total processes are occupying. well now i have a general idea. would you mind posting a benchmark from everst home so i could compare it to mine? that'll really give me an accurate picture of where this e310 stands. thnx.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

My XP machine only has 1 GB ram and 200 GB HD. I get similar results. Another thing I mentioned before is just before doing a defrag I create a Restore Point, then clean off all the old restore points using the Windows Disk Cleanup utility. You don't need a superfast PC to get quick defrags. afa benchmark I don't have that installed. About the only thing I bother to benchmark is HD performance using HD Tune and that mainly because I used to build a kernel module in Linux to get the UDMA66 to kick in.

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

good. thnx. i have to take time out, and check out the threads in the forum dedicated to pc performance. not going to go too techie w/all the extra goodies available 4 tweeks. tons of stuff. definitely agree w/tuning it up 4 what i want it for.
          SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...