Rumor: Gates to Announce DVR 360 at CES?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BR7
    He is coming to your little town!
    • Aug 2005

Rumor: Gates to Announce DVR 360 at CES?

In particular, Microsoft could work with Toshiba to develop a digital video recorder with a hard-drive, high-definition HD-DVD drive and Xbox gaming capabilities. They're already allied against Sony and other backers of the Blu-ray DVD format, and Toshiba could help Xbox finally penetrate the Japanese market. Microsoft could also make a splash by announcing plans to give the Xbox 360 an internal HD-DVD drive, putting it on par with Sony's PlayStation 3 that has a built-in Blu-ray drive.
    Link to story

My Blu-ray Collection
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Having an internal HD DVD drive makes a lot of sense, because the HD DVD add-on is pretty bulky and adds to the footprint of the console. And because the add-on drive also plays DVDs, having duplicated functions is a bit strange.

To add DVR capabilities to the Xbox 360 shouldn't be too hard (maybe an external USB based tuner) - only the relatively small HDD holds it back from becoming something useful - even 120 GB isn't really big enough if you want to record lots of stuff.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• blazzinbird
      • Dec 2005

Now they just need to make it where the red ring of death is less. Ive had 5 friends experance it, not me though yet..

Id like to see a internal hd drive. My extearnal is very bulky

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Get the 360 with the Falcon motherboard - 65nm CPU, runs cooler, a little bit quieter and has HDMI output - it is supposed to fix the RROD problem, and certainly there has been less reports of Falcons getting the same problem (although it might take time for it to show up). Some stores are doing trade-ins for older/non-HDMI 360's to the new Falcon one.

If you can wait, the Jasper version of the 360 is coming later this year, which will shrink the GPU process to 65nm as well. Will Jasper have the HD DVD drive built in? Since Jasper is said to be released in August, adding in a HD DVD drive before then shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

BIG IN 2008 – Xbox Ultimate

The article above thinks the Xbox 360 Ultimate will come with:

* Built in HD DVD drive
          * Wi-Fi
          * HDMI audio output (eg. TrueHD, DTS-HD MA bitstream and decoding)
          * 65nm CPU and GPU
          * Silent fan
          * 320 GB HDD

A bit of a wishlist than actual fact, but the above would make a very nice console I have to say, a PS3 beater technological and feature wise. Would definitely trade up by current HDMI-less 360 for it, even if it means shelling out a few hundred bucks more.

Comment

• Joker CCXXII
            JoKeRzDoMaiN.com
            • Jan 2008

Originally Posted by blazzinbird
            Now they just need to make it where the red ring of death is less. Ive had 5 friends experance it, not me though yet..

Id like to see a internal hd drive. My extearnal is very bulky
            I got the red ring of death 2 hours after I took it out of the box. It turns out it had to do with the fan expansion I put on the back of my 360. Lose connection with the power plug that's all.

As for the Ultimate 360... I wish they would have came out with that first! Looks like it will give PS3 a run for its money... unless the total cost kills the whole project.

Comment

• blazzinbird
              • Dec 2005

I do have a newer 360 with the hdmi output on it.

For heat I also bought the intercooler for it.

Comment

Working...