Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jumpman
    • Jan 2008

Streaming content thru Media Center...

I have researched several forums, but have been unsuccessful in finding the 'best' way to view content thru Media Center on my X-360. It seems that the far majoity of users out there are encoding to .avi format and are viewing media on external hard-drive connected directly to the 360.

I am looking to do something a bit different.

I will first explain that my Media Center PC and my Xbox 360 are on a wired network that is also shared by other PC's in the home - as well as a standard Xbox. The Xbox 360 is connected via component video cables to a TV capable of 1080p resolution. The end-result I am looking to acheive is having my DVD collection backed-up on a Network computer...so that video files are accessable from any PC on the Network...and also (viewable) on the 360. I would prefer to store any video files as .WMV's so that I don't have to worry about codec compatability issues. Size of the resulting video files is not a major concern, but I would like to keep a full-length movie to about 1.5Gig (if possible). My bigger concern is video quality. I would like a the resolution to be at least 480i/p, or 720p. I am stateside...so I am using the NTSC standard.

Now, I have tried various software solutions - but keep running into various problems.

For testing, I used my copy of The Office (BBC) 'The Complete Second Series'. Once I have an episode stored as a .VOB file, I am using 'Encode360' to convert the file to a .WMV. I have converted to a 848x480 output ratio, and am encoding @ 3500kbp. Audio is being encoded @ 160kbp. The resulting video file is about 700Meg, and produces a watchable picture thru Media Center. In scenes with a lot of motion - I can see some distortion - looking like 'scan issues' - I would like ot be able to correct that - as many of the movies in my library are action intense.

The other issue that I have been unable to correct is .VOB combining. When I attempted to encode a full length movie, it only encoded the first .VOB file. I have read that DVD Shrink will allow you to create a single .VOB - but I have not been able to figure-out how to accomplish it.

Any help that can be offered is appreciated - I don't mind testing different encoding methods...but it is getting VERY time consuming/frustrating wating for files to encode only to find the resulting file does not work properly.
  • swraman
    • Aug 2005

Hi

forst off...for the problem of the program only converting the first .vob file...the beast way to do that is vobEDIT, however that I believe that it is programmed to only join .vob files into 1GB incriments, as they are suposed to be joined, which wouldnt help your case. Instead, you cound try to use DVDx, a completely free converter that can read the IFO files of a DVD instead of the VOB files, so you can convert all the .vob files of a video into one video.

And supposidly the 360 supporte DivX now...so you can rip to Dovx files..however I havent tested it and I dont have a media center PC anymore ( I reverted to XP ) so I cant confirm it.
    G4 =

I got a ton of Gmail (2+(and counting)GB Email from Google) invites if anyone wants one. PM or email me if you want one.

Comment

• swraman
      • Aug 2005

Yes, I just checked and with an optional update you can play divx and XviD files on the 360, so I would suggest that you ise DivX or XviD to encode your files.
      G4 =

I got a ton of Gmail (2+(and counting)GB Email from Google) invites if anyone wants one. PM or email me if you want one.

Comment

Working...