Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonysmith1929
    • Nov 2005

More queries for Chewy....

Hi..Re long running saga of defunct Emachines..
    Contrary to advice from some, I have now rebuilt this machine with new 420watt PSU, new 89gig HD, new mobo (only an Assus, but it works !!). Only old bits are floppy drive and CPU.
    It POSTS, or sort of.....Inserted XP pro disc,gets to selection,loads basic driver files, then stops. NO keys make any difference. Advice on this appreciated...
    Next is dodgy part. I think you told me way back that it is possible to reload from original Emachines backup CDs if you have the right numbers. I think I have all of them attached to the back of PC.
    Otherwise I have a XPpro disc I'm not sure about. Its an original disc in case with hologram etc, and key number, but think it may have been used before (not by me ).
    If this is so will it 'activate' for me.(not had to activate an OS before,only loaded Win 98 which was simple.) Also, this PC now has no modem till it gets a DSL exterior modem, so cant activate online anyway.
    All sounds like a good can of worms to me, Thanks for past help, look forward to your thoughts on this....Regards....
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

the emachines will say windows xp home oem

Comment

• tonysmith1929
      • Nov 2005

more queries for Chewey

So which would you try for, dubious XPpro CD, or restore discs ?????????? By the way, I also quadrupled the RAM to one Gig....

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Obtain a copy of a generic oem disk that matches the liscense you are using

I then slipstream sp3 and do a clean install

Comment

Working...