X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • browneye
    jack of all trades - master of some
    • Mar 2007

xp networking

I have 1 machine running xp-home, with it I can see and access files on my other xp pro-machines.

With the xp-pro machines I can see the shared folders on the xp-home machine but not open them?

I've tried about everything I can think of.

HELP!
  • PurpleDemon
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2006

HI browneye,

On your home machine is the sharing enabled?

Right click on your hard drive and go to properties.
    Click on the sharing tab and make sure that in the networking section both are checked in the middle section to share on network and allow users to change.

If already there we will keep troubleshooting.

Good Luck
    Attached Files

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

I had a Lan with XP Home on one side and XP Pro on the other and I didn't get the same symptoms you are having, but what I got was dragging & dropping files would get an
      access violation(access denied not authorized) depending on which machine I did the
      dragging from. What I did that improved the situation was rather than sharing arbitrary folders I shared the "Shared Documents" folders on each machine. I'd copy files into that
      first then lob them over the Lan. I could drag & drop both ways then.

You might try it just to see what happens.

Comment

• browneye
        • Mar 2007

Hi,
        Yes all the sharing boxes are checked on all the machines.

I did try the shared doc's folders on 2 machines home and pro, made sure permissions were set to full control for all users and everyone, still only one way accesss home-> pro

I hunting

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

Hmmmmmm don't know what else to suggest. Now I have Vista and XP Pro. No XP Home
          anymore. As a test have you disabled the Windows Firewall? But iirc stuff didn't start working well for me until I got Vista on one of the machines. Now I still do the Shared Documents folders thing but if I share an arbitrary folder to back up over the network it seems to work without a glitch.

Comment

• browneye
            • Mar 2007

Thanks Miles I'm going to muck about with security settings and see what I can come up with.

Comment

Working...