• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Digital TV Tuners

Hi,

I was messing around with my DVD recorder and found that the cable company is once again giving us local HD channels (but you need a digital tuner to receive them). We also get stuff like Music Choice, RETRO (some old shows channel) and some Pay-Per-View preview channels.

I have seen these digital TV tuners that let you save a .ts direct stream copy of a digital channel to the computer, that can be encoded, burned, whatever. But I'm not quite sure where to get one that's affordable.

Would something like this work? The thing that worries me is how they all mention software you have to use to record in... would that be re-encoding the video or actually copying the streams? The cheapest one I could find at NewEgg was around $50, and since all my PCI slots are full I'd prefer a USB one if possible.

Anyone know of some good deals? I read that with digital it doesn't matter how cheap it is, as direct stream copy is direct stream copy regardless of the brand. I just need to make sure it DOES copy and not re-encodes.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Hi super. What kind of set up you have as far as cable, tv, dvd recorder etc? I know what you're trying to do more or less just curious to see what you're working w/to maybe give you an idea or 2. Thnx.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

We pay for analog cable (99 channels)... I have that on a splitter, one goes to the DVD recorder and one goes to the TV. (There are other TVs in the house, but they're all analog-only so the digital channels don't matter)

The DVD recorder automatically re-encodes everything... regardless of the source content. That's fine for standard-definition programs, but for HD programs it would be nice to be able to rip .ts streams.

Since the HD channels are part of our normal analog cable, there's no cable box or anything... so I can plug it directly into my computer with a TV tuner and it should work fine.
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

I see. Well I guess sooner or later a hdtv is in the the to do list. I'll have to go that route soon myself. that tuner seems reasonable. sooner or later you'll have no use for it so get the best price you can at the best quality.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• ed klein
          Banned
          • Mar 2004

Once you have your ts files, or m2ts files, or video and audio streams on your hard drive you can input them directly into TSMUXER to create you blu-ray structure ISO and play them on you computer if you have a hi-def software player something like powerdvd or burn the blu-ray structure to optical disk or disks.

but all the input files must be ripped or free of copy protection before input into TSMUXER.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

Getting a HDTV IS on our to-do list.

I'm not asking about WATCHING HD stations, I can do that with the digital tuner in the DVD recorder. I want to record them - but I need to make sure it's actually saving .ts. These ones that mention using software like WinTV seem suspicious since it shouldn't need software.

Do over-the-air HD stations have copy protection? Like if I recorded the new episodes of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles from FOX2HD, would I not be able to make a DVD/BD-R out of it?

Can PDTV streams be burned to a DVD without converting? Or are they too high a bitrate/wrong format?

Does anyone know if that particular tuner actually does direct stream copy? Do all tuners that say ATSC? Because most of them come with software... and that makes me suspicious that it's encoding them on-the-fly.
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Super see if this helps if at least a lil>http://www.techwandering.com/2006/12...-just-for-tvs/

It's a whole mess out there w/this hdtv thing. signal. no signal. protected. not protected. can be recorded. can't be. know what I mean.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

My DVD recorder let me record the HD stuff, but said "unable to record" when I tried it on the Music Choice music-on-demand channels. I guess I can still do it analog... like tie it into my computer's Line In (Plus it's music, who needs the video?)

It did say "unable to record" for the HD stuff but if I pressed record a second time it did it anyway. Not sure what the deal is then...
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

They're not even sure what the deal is yet. my dvd recorder would do the same thing. It would pop up a red media not recordable message, but then it would get back to recording. small pause though. That's why we're f...ed and no matter what going to have to get a hdtv.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                    NOT an online superstore
                    • Oct 2005

Well my DVD recorder isn't "smart".

It'll also not allow you to record Macrovision protected VHS tapes (pops up a thing saying it's copy protected), but all you have to do is record 2-3 seconds of the VCR on Stop, then hit Play. It only checks for Macrovision in the first second or two, once you get past that it doesn't care.

Could be the same way with the HDTV, not sure.
                    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                    Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2007

Most cable providers haven't put new wiring in for the hd signals. They've just rewired the old ones and made it so that they could pump the hd through along w/the analog. That's why you'll get some great freehd on some channels and some days and not on others. Verizon fios is working they're way into Manhattan. They're already in the outer boroughs. it'll take maybe 1 to 2 years to put in the new optical fibers in Manhattan. I can't wait. Fios is the bomb. matter of fact rumor has it that time warner or even some other cable companies aren't even using full capacity optical fiber or any for that matter. I'm going to hold down the fort w/my 2 sony wega trinitrons until the dust settles and there's a clearer picture regarding this whole hdtv/blu-ray conversion. That way I'll be in a position to make better decisions regarding hdtvs and digital formats. Take vista as a lesson in what to expect from a beta.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                        NOT an online superstore
                        • Oct 2005

Heh, we'll just be getting WOW with HD.

The Music Choice channels are record-locked though, so I dunno how it works. As long as I can record FOX, ABC, etc. I'm happy.
                        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2007

Gotta take what you can while it's there and leave the rest on a shelf for another day. It'll drive anyone crazy this whole hdtv thing. I myself am just getting acquainted w/this whole mess.

Check this out. My sony's have a digital comb filter which converts the digital signal to analog. Some stations are great. others pixelate because the signal's too weak. Hence there goes the rewiring and also the stations option to pump whatever they feel like. Not all of them are on full hd, especially at 1080p. That's going to be one of the biggest pita. trying to convince individual stations to pump the best signals.

my next and only move for now is getting the component ypbr cables. The rep at sony told me it would help out at least w/the picture and maybe the breakups due to weak signals. My friend upstairs has the same service and the same tv and some of his channels blackout completely. Go figure. One of those is the YES network. Not that it matters much this year, my Bronx bums are going no where but home and watch the play offs on their multi-million $$$ systems. Lol...

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                            NOT an online superstore
                            • Oct 2005

I know that over-the-air HD stations are ATSC, which is 720p at best (or 1080i, which I actually think it worse than 720p). QAM can do 1080p, but that's through cable/satellite and needs a cable box or some sort of decoder...

So I guess what's coming over my cable would be ATSC. I'll look into one of those Hauppauge USB tuner sticks, and use some free software I found to dump .ts streams. Then I can know if they're 720p or 1080i
                            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • May 2007

There you go. I just learned something new. Sounds like too many chefs in the kitchen and the food all over the place.

Comment

Working...