X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Yeah, it's kinda annoying to me too.

Back in the day, you'd just have cable or satellite. None of these options. You could choose to pay for stuff like HBO, but that was about it.

Now there's the whole HD trend... Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD, ATSC vs. QAM, vs. whatever PAL uses... digital value, digital basic, on-demand, all this crap. I don't see the point of on-demand... with the use of DVRs, the whole world is on-demand I mean, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about it but they keep coming out with new stuff! Why can't they just make like a 50,000p that will never need to be improved and then we don't have to worry about all the different HD formats? LOL
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Believe me I had to take a breather the other day when I was reading about this in one of the forums admin moderates. I'm not sure who started the thread, but it was about purchasing a hdtv and what to look for as far as hdmi connections etc... Putting it simply the more posts regarding hdtv in that thread the more complicated it seemed to get. Even admin felt the posts w/quotes was feeling weird. It got so intrinsic and detailed w/so many formats, signals and connections I basically got frustrated and just started viewing something else. You have more input than me and now you're realizing how confusing and really complicated they're making this out to be. I'm w/you. Make the standard one format, legislate it and give the broadcast companies ample time to get their crap together and that's it.

My suggestion would be to not dive into anything serious as far as purchasing, especially regarding blu-ray which might not even survive. I have a toshiba dvr and a dvd stand alone along w/my sony wegas. I'm not making any serious moves unless my sets can't handle the down converted signals from digital anymore. Could you believe that the digital comb filters are down converting the digital signals to standard 480p.
      So right there that should tell you how the signals are not pure digital, even though full conversion is in Feb of 2009. You could google all you want and cruise the forums concerning this. In the end it won't amount to squat if they're still doing what they feel like w/the broadcast signals pumped through.

P.S. It was your thread super. How do you like that. I knew I recognised your user name from somewhere. lol...
      Last edited by dr_ml422; 14 Sep 2008, 02:44 PM.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
        I mean, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about it but they keep coming out with new stuff!
        I guess it's still for the aficionado. A guy I worked for made an appointment
        to listen to a component stereo system back in the 1980s. He ended up
        spending about $3500 for turntable, FM Tuner, Amp and PreAmp.

125 W/channel stereo. Now you could probably get the same sound quality
        for about $800 and the setup would come with speakers!!!

At least electronics is one thing that gets cheaper.

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

At least electronics is one thing that gets cheaper.

You hit it right on the button miles. I just finished telling a friend the same thing recently. Mostly everything else goes up, but at some point, mainly when new updated or entirely different stuff comes out regarding electronics it always goes down. Then after a while becomes obsolete. ie; vcr.

Oh well, I'll hold out until the right time comes to dive in and at least go for a hdtv which probably be soon enough. The digital video formats is another different thing entirely.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

dr_ml422 I purchased one of those Sony WEGA crt type TVs a few
            years ago. Looks like a conventional 27" color TV and priced about the
            same but has 720p and 1080i res. with 16x9 mode. I bought an OPPO
            upconverting DVD player and plugged it into the HDMI connection.

My OPPO finally died so I got a Philips dvp 5990 upconverting player.
            Here's the curious part. When I was searching the web for
            recommendations on the DVD player I came across this page where the guy claimed if you
            plugged your DVD player into your TV using the composite connection, then
            using the upconverted HDMI connection, you wouldn't be able to tell the
            difference because your TV would upconvert it anyway!

I have to admit I tried it and I can't tell the difference!!!

But, I'm glad I got the Philips upconverting 5990 because it has Divx
            Ultra support and plays avi/divx better than my OPPO did. You can press
            Stop without it going back to the start of the .avi file and 16x9 divx/avi
            is actually output in 16x9 mode. I think even more
            important than resolution is 16x9 mode. I have another small Sony TV
            that is SD but it has a 16x9 mode. When I play 16x9 stuff in the DVD
            player and turn on the 16x9 mode it
            looks very glossy, almost like an HD picture. The same DVDs and AVIs
            look better on the same TV with this Philips player. For $50 - $60 it's
            definitely a good buy. Only thing that bites is the brittle flimsy black
            remote that comes with it. But the Silver remote from my old Philips still
            works, so I use that.

So I would say from my experience if you don't want to break the
            budget try something with good picture quality that has a 16x9 mode. The
            smaller the screen the less you can see the flaws anyway so until you get up
            over 30" I don't think you need to spend big bucks. A home theater is one
            thing but just to watch TV with a decent picture you don't have to go
            crazy.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

try something with good picture quality that has a 16x9 mode.

You mean put a dvd in my player that can be displayed in 16x9 mode and turn the 16x9 mode on my tv?

I have this>Sony FD Trinitron WEGA Model Number>KV-20FS120. I think it's 480i or p. Not sure. I went to Sony's site and checked out their recommendations for dvd, vcr, dvr hook-ups. Need to get component cables and maybe a composite one. Guess the upconverter will upconvert videos only? Pictiure don't look bad, but it is just a matter of time before I upgrade it to something. Not now though.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

That looks like the small Sony that I have. If you press the Menu
                button on the remote in the Video menu there should be a setting for 16x9
                enhancement ON/OFF. If you are playing a 16x9 DVD or .avi file it should
                compress the picture from the top and bottom. It won't upconvert anything..
                just show the 480i picture in 16x9 mode. It looks a lot
                better than letterboxed. You have to tell the DVD player that it is
                hooked up to a Widescreen TV. Then it will output 16x9 instead of
                letterboxed when playing anamorphic discs.

My 27" Sony Wega has automatic 16x9 mode so you don't have to use the
                Menu setting. That one will upconvert DVD and Avi input at least
                through the composite input. I don't know if you can find them anymore.
                I don't think they are using CRT tubes on anything with resolution above
                480 now... but I could be wrong. My 20" Sony, that I think is the same
                as yours, I have hooked up to my Philips DVD player through Component
                cables. I just have the RCA audio cables. No optical or DTS.. but I
                stuck a couple of audio cable splitters into the RCA cable connections
                and ran a long RCA cable around to my Stereo system. I can turn on the
                Video input in my stereo for home-made half-baked quadio sound or whatever.
                It makes more of a difference when playing audio discs in the DVD player
                than with movies but it sounds a little better than just the TV speakers.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

Thnx Miles. It's much better when you know what you have is fully capable of doing, whether a pc or anything else. That way you could make the best out of it. I did the same thing w/my dell mce 2005 until I realised I really couldn't upgrade it that much anymore and how xp home was so much quicker and w/a lighter footprint. Big lesson I learned in regards to pre-builds. Then again Chewy had suggested there's only so much you could do w/a pre-build way back. That w/the suggestions on using quality media from you guys like tys and verbs, which I didn't take until recently only further proves that experience not only best teacher, but trusting the experience of more knowledgeable members is even better.

That said, I'll hook up some component cables in due time and just make the best of it. You're right my 20" only kicks 16x9 mode in when using a player. It does look a tad better.

Comment

Working...