• Show
Clear All
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

How to Remove Shell from Right-Click

Hi folks,

I wonder if there is a solution to this problem ... this issue is on a computer that I have no Admin Rights … I am just low level User.

When I did have Admin Rights I happen to install some Freeware Programs that were as their Authors say … “buggy” … well I don’t understand why these guys right their program to have “Shell” capability.

Anyway, these 2 programs in question have been removed from my Hard Drive and I in my wisdom deleted the Register Keys for them under “RegEdit” … but I don’t know where the “Loose Commands” are that I still have the darn things in my Shell …

When I right-click on the Start button I get the following Picture ... see attached.

Q: How can I remove the 2 entries circled in RED? As a local user!!! Can this be done!?!?

Thanks,

G!
    Attached Files
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

AFAIK register and unregister of shell extensions requires privileges. Whoever is admin will probably have to run an elevated command prompt and run regsvr32 to unregister the dlls.
    Also you need to know which dlls they are.

Comment

• blutach
      Not a god of digital video
      • Oct 2004

You'll definitely need admin rights, but Glary Utilities (freeware) has a right click editor.

Regards
      Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
      [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

Try this:
        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

Also if you use lots of Shell Extensions like I do, then MS has this
          workaround

although I don't have a 64 bit system yet to try it.
          Last edited by MilesAhead; 14 Nov 2008, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• gonwk
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2005

Hi guys,

THANKS for all the tips! Will look into them all.

G!

Comment

• gonwk
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by paglamon
              Hi paglamon ... Hope things are going well for you! Pag ... the "NirSoft" page it has a lot of other "Goodies" ... are all "SAFE" to go for!?!?

Q1: ... if none of the Solution that you folks shared for Removing that Shell does not work ... then What!?!? Any other Idea(s)!?!?

Q2: Another Q the NirSoft "WirelessKeyView" and "BluetoothView" ... do you know if I run these 2 programs on my laptop that has VISTA Premium 64-bit ... would these 2 program CONFLICT with Windows own on-board software!?!?

Thanks!

G!
              Last edited by gonwk; 17 Nov 2008, 08:07 AM.

Comment

• paglamon
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2005

Hi G,

Mcafee SiteAdvisor gives the Nirsoft site a green label. So, I presume it is a safe site.

Ans. to Q1: Well, then you will have to find the registry entries for those handlers and delete them manually.

Ans. to Q2 : Absolutely no idea !

BTW, I think ShellMenuView is better suited for serving your purpose than ShellExView.
                Last edited by paglamon; 17 Nov 2008, 02:22 PM.
                sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by gonwk

Q1: ... if none of the Solution that you folks shared for Removing that Shell does not work ... then What!?!? Any other Idea(s)!?!?
                  The easiest method, if possible, and if you still have the software, may be to just get the Admin to install the stuff again, then uninstall it. If it put shell handlers on then that software is probably the only software using them.

The installer that registered the shell handlers should unregister and delete during the uninstall.
                  Last edited by MilesAhead; 18 Nov 2008, 04:57 AM. Reason: formatting

Comment

• gonwk
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by paglamon
                    Hi G,

Mcafee SiteAdvisor gives the Nirsoft site a green label. So, I presume it is a safe site.

Ans. to Q1: Well, then you will have to find the registry entries for those handlers and delete them manually.

Ans. to Q2 : Absolutely no idea !

BTW, I think ShellMenuView is better suited for serving your purpose than ShellExView.
                    Hi Paglamon,

THANKS as usual for help dude! BTW, thanks for the Mcafee SiteAdvisor link!

G!

Comment

• gonwk
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
                      The easiest method, if possible, and if you still have the software, may be to just get the Admin to install the stuff again, then uninstall it. If it put shell handlers on then that software is probably the only software using them.

The installer that registered the shell handlers should unregister and delete during the uninstall.
                      Hi Miles,

I think you might have the easiest method for me. Now I have to sweat talk the Admin to go along!

G!

Comment

Working...