• Show
Clear All
  • PurpleDemon
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2006

Has anyone tried OEM 4 Sale Software?

I found this site just by surfing.

There prices are great on operating systems. Maybe too good.

Even the retail is tempting.

Anyone tried them?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank You and Happy Holiday's too all.

• doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

If it is to good to be true, then it is. I would not trust that site you will probably get burned.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• PurpleDemon
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Mar 2006

Thanks for the input. I was suspicious when XP Pro Retail was $131.00 cheaper than Newegg.

I just thought if any had used them yet and had a good experience that I would go ahead.

I think I will stick with Newegg after.

Thanks Doc

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
        It Was The Dog, I Swear!
        • Nov 2003

The only experience I have with buying OEM windows is with the OS I'm running right now. The ONLY reason it's OEM is because that's the only way to get MCE. To make a long story short, I wished I hadn't went OEM. Oh, and BTW, as of the time of this post edit, the link you provided points to nothing. Site is down.
        My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• PurpleDemon
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Mar 2006

Boy I feel lucky now. Site down?

Funny it was one of those Google recommended ads.

I think I will stick with Newegg.

Thanks all

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

Buying the (legit) OEM version of Windows is alright if you don't plan on making too many upgrades on your computer (which makes Windows think you've changed computers), or if you've decided on a 32/64-bit version and don't plan to change to the other (the retail versions comes with both I think, but the OEM version is sold separately). Also, the OEM version doesn't come with tech support from Microsoft, as it is the system builder's (the person who purchased the OEM software) responsibility. Technically, OEM versions can only be sold with new computer hardware, but nobody really knows what kind of hardware is acceptable is (a completely new computer system, or just a mouse).

Other than the above points, the software is the same as the retail version, complete with all features (I'm talking about Vista here) and documentations. I'm using 64-bit OEM Vista Home Premium, which was half the price of the retail version.
            Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• cynthia
              Super Moderatress
              • Jan 2004

It is possible to get the 64 bit-version of Vista if you bought the 32-bit OEM version for just the shipping costs. You can't continue to use the 32-bit version after you have installed the 64-bit version. At least this was the deal in Sweden.

It's not tricky to get your hands on an OEM version even if you don't buy any other stuff at the same time in the shops in Sweden. (Don't tell Micro$oft this... )

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by admin
                Technically, OEM versions can only be sold with new computer hardware, but nobody really knows what kind of hardware is acceptable is (a completely new computer system, or just a mouse).
                That was changed long ago. At least in the case of XP MCE. I don't know about other versions.
                My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

Working...