Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

hmmmmmmm heard on another site it's some stupid app in AMD RaidXpert. Why it insists on relaunching when I kill it I don't know but it's staying it autokiller until I know what the stupid thing is!! Sheesh!!

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by atifsh
      woah this shark bites ...
      http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=9466Nero Serial Removed&showtopic=129390
      Now I see what you mean.
      How do those pilot fish do it? heh heh

Comment

• gonwk
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by atifsh
        woah this shark bites ...
        http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=9466Nero Serial Removed&showtopic=129390
        Hi atifsh,

I DO NOT understand what you mean by "Shark Bites" ... do you mean his "Vista Codec Pack" is Dangerous ... if so ... here is my 10 cents on it ...

I have always been told to NEVER EVER download a "Codec Package" and install ... that I should always download and install what I need as I need it.

Well, I should have followed those Golden Rules ... but since I had seen "Sharktooth" other work on other Forums ... I kind of Trusted his stuff ...
        But "Vista Codec Pack 5.1.0 & 5.1.1" proves to be nothing but a NIGHTMARE! So, I followed the instructions of Sharktooth and uninstalled my PERFECTLY good stand-alone Codecs (AviSynth, FFDSHOW, XviD, VobSub, ...) and started installation of Sharktooth's Brand ... half way into the installation my laptop's CPU fan kicks in at 50% I get "werfault.exe" running like crazy and on top of it all I CAN NOT STOP the crap Vista Codec Pack installation ... I have to use Task Manager to Force Stop the CRAP.

My Comodo friewall kicks in and Alerts me that a new "uninst.tmp*32" program is accessing something. My install chokes at 50% + ... don't know why!!! I tried both 5.1.0 and 5.1.1 ... and both screwed up my install.

I am really mad when I have to use Vista's Restore Point just to get rid of the possible Damage this Codec Pack might have done to my laptop. God knows what kind of UnWanted stuff has been downlaoded on my laptop.

Anyway ... if Sharktooth wants to HELP ... why not list what are the Codecs that are in his Package!?!? What is so Top Secret!?!?

BTW, my OS is Vista Home Prem., SP-1, 64-bit on a Gateway Laptop M-6862.

I myself going back to installing my Codecs individually ... and the heck with any Codec Packs!

Thanks,

G!

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Shark007 is the author of Vista/Windows 7 Codec Pack. Windows 7's WMP now comes with native support for tons of video formats, like DivX, and so somebody was asking why people still need codec packs, and Shark007 responded in a "sharp" manner with some "biting" remarks.

I for one thinks codec packs will still be needed because if Microsoft stays true to form, their stuff would be pretty poor compared to custom codecs, and not every format will be supported, like RM/RMVB, QuickTime, (any other competing video formats to Microsoft), and possibly more advanced forms of H.264/AAC.

But Win7 will be a big upgrade over Vista in terms of native video support, and more in-line with what the Xbox 360 already natively supports.
          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Abuilder
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Oct 2006

It seems to me that the only reason MS would include support for other video formats would be so they could claim full & exclusive rights to them and shut down even more competition. Microsoft has been doing this since the early days.
            The idiots even tried to claim full rights over Linux. Give me a break!
            They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• atifsh
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2003

i just installed new win7 codec + x64 component for win7 without any issues and everything works fine.
              Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

I'm running into some of the same issues I did with 32 bit Vista afa HD running on. When I copy a large number of files to my external drive, like doing an image save, it keeps accessing after the backup is done for 20 minutes. I look in ProcessMon and svchost.exe has something opening every single file on the external drive! Really bizarre.

I printed out all my Vista 32 bit services and went down the list. Plus I killed all those stupid hidden scheduled processes in Task Manager. Something still wants to open every file. Who codes this stuff?

edit:

Bingo! I hope... think I got it this time. I've been using locate32 for file search for so long I forgot about it. I always figured it got a notification from the OS when it monitored file system changes. (Hmmmm I guess if you only changed or renamed a file or two you wouldn't notice it. But if you changed/copied 1000 files, the updates are quite visible since the HD LED is pegged.)

Anyway, under Update Results in settings I changed it to disable updating. See if that quiets things down.
                Last edited by MilesAhead; 4 Feb 2009, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

Here's one thing interesting though. I did test burns using DVD+RW 8x and a few burns with Verbatim DVD+R 16x and on both, the write strategy doesn't even include 4x. On my old burner a lot of test burns on DVD+RW would be done by the time the speed would bump up. On this burner by the time Imgburn shows 500,000,000 it's at 6x.
                  Last edited by MilesAhead; 4 Feb 2009, 08:40 AM. Reason: typos are driving me amd

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by copyless
                    If you like the aero, leave it on but if you shut it down and just stick with the regular windows it really speeds things up. I used mine for about a year with all the aero stuff on and then decided I would shut it off and try it. After I turned it off, with three items still in my sidebar, my computer will cold start in about 68 seconds and shuts down in 18 seconds. Which other than yours being AMD and mine Intel, I think we have close to the same machine, I mean of course yours is a newer graphics card also.
                    Hmmm, no matter what I do I get bootspeed measurements of around 100 seconds. Do you have any USB hooked up? I just tried changing to classic theme and it didn't take a second off my boot time. I'm wondering maybe if the USB is slowing me down. Seems like it hangs forever with that little green scroll line on black screen. My 32 bit Vista machine even with USB printer and external drive hooked up and Aero theme reboots in 67 seconds.

I see a few other guys too on the Vista64 forums. No matter what they try it's 91 seconds reboot time minimum.

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

My 3 year old install and computer has slowed down some, it takes 39 seconds

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
                        My 3 year old install and computer has slowed down some, it takes 39 seconds
                        I think I found the culprit. I have an external USB drive on all the time. On this machine for some reason during the boot sequence it spins it down, then spins it up and accesses it. I wonder if it's loading the driver off the drive every time?

I have the external set to never spin down due to inactivity and it didn't do this when hooked to my other PC. Another guy on the Vista forum has similar boot times but his is 32 bit. I haven't heard back if he has USB stuff hooked up or what. Maybe there's some switch in the CMOS. I haven't asked on HP forums yet.

Comment

• copyless
                          Digital Video Expert
                          Digital Video Expert
                          • Apr 2006

I had not timed my reboot, but I did now. While reading this (with IE8 opened) I hit restart and it took 93 seconds to reboot. With just the desktop it took 81 seconds. This is with 74 processes and 29 items in startup. The 68 seconds was a cold start time.

I don't know why the difference, but I do know on mine it changed the cold start tremendously. I did forget to mention besides turning off Aero and selecting something like windows standard, you also need to turn off the Effects part of windows, I kept the show items while dragging but turned the others off. I do also use a photo as my desktop which adds a little time. So I'm not sure why you would notice not difference, and maybe part of mine is the the HDD cache, which I suspect yours is 16MB and mine is 32.

If you don't turn off the computer maybe it is not worth messing with, but I always shut mine down, so for me it was a big plus.

Oh yeah, I do have several USB devices but none that are on when I start the machine,I actually have to have a 4 to 1 adapter, because I have 3 printers, 1 scanner, wireless mouse and a weather station hooked up.
                          Last edited by copyless; 5 Feb 2009, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                            Eclectician
                            • Nov 2006

@copyless thanks for the info. I suspect as I noted above that it's an issue with the USB drive. There are other lags too but it seems to insist on spinning the drive down, then up, then accessing it. It's not that big a deal, just a little annoying. I guess I could try hooking the drive to the 32 bit Vista machine and see if the lag diminishes.

Comment

• copyless
                              Digital Video Expert
                              Digital Video Expert
                              • Apr 2006

Yeah I saw that, I ws actually writing mine and then took a phone call in the middle of writing before I posted, so when I posted I saw your post above mine about what you thought the culprit was.

I am curious to know how many processes and items you have in sartup? I just wonder because, I normally keep mine at what I feel is a high number, so I am curious as to what yours are. I am sure Chewy's are like 35 and 8.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                                Eclectician
                                • Nov 2006

I unhooked the USB drive and it had no effect. I don't think any number of startup or service changes or any of that will make a difference. Seems like it wants to think while that green line is scrolling no matter what you do. That's where all the time elapses. I'll just keep my eyes open. Some more info will probably turn up.

If that and the bright purple LED are my complaints then it's no biggie.

Comment

Working...