• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

GPU and Power LED lights off?

I noticed my GPU and Power Button LED lights are off. Reset button don't work but that's because wire broke. The computers working. It turns on, and I'm still doing video work. Can this be a issue I haven't caught yet? Hit here n Google and only thing so far was ATI telling me to call HIS DIGITAL and get a RMA which I'm not having a nice time doing, but will soon enough. ATI/AMD told me it can lead to some issues down the road. So I'm opting for the warranty. Any suggestions though on this in the mean time appreciated. Thnx.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

what do led lights and broken wires have to do with the video card?

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

I don't know, but the support rep at ATI told me it's best to just send it back and get a replacement for the graphics card. Said it could possibly produce problems down the road? Just received E-mail last night from HIS. Said they apologize for any inconvenience, blah, blah, blah, and that my card was one that unfortunately slip by their strict quality control. So they sent me RMA to send back.

Is this true that the LED blowing out can mess things up later for the graphics card?

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Is this true that the LED blowing out can mess things up later for the graphics card?
        An LED on the actual card might indicate something?

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

Originally Posted by Chewy
          An LED on the actual card might indicate something?
          It lit up the fan which is the only thing I could surmise that it's intended for so that you could see if it's running. Other than that my pc via my monitor or through some warning would let me know if the card went dead or w/e. Tech said it safer to be able to see fan run so as to prevent any damage to either the card or anything else if it stopped and fried up. I don't have any other ideas other than what the ATI guy said and my common sense, which is prolly w/the experience you guys have more than most of these reps have anyway.

Also said that if no issues w/current drivers then updating to most recent not needed unless issues using Catalyst Center which I don't since I don't game.

I'll send the damn thing back, let them fix, replace w/another and start looking for a nice hi-tech non-gaming GPU as it will suffice for anything I do which is mostly video work. That'll be another thread, or post here suggesting if the one I pick is a good catch to pull the trigger on.

Took some time today and went through all the cables and wires. Everything good except for blown LED on video card. They sending me RMA soon here. What the heck, I'll take another one and use it until whenever. I don't know if it's true what they said about that card having issue out the line, but I'll take their word for now.

The wire that wasn't hooked up is the power LED. Rosewill pulled a quickie on me as they had rigged some connection up that wasn't on my specs or even theirs, that's why I thought it was the reset button wire. It's not. Reset works fine. When 1 of these wires go bad what's the usual recourse? Get a new case for 1 wire, or they sell front panel wiring for the case? I'm thinking going on Rosewill's site, or Newegg and looking for a 2 connector power led wire, if in fact that can be hooked up. Thnx.
          Last edited by dr_ml422; 4 Feb 2009, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

On your case if you need a cable put together I can do that for you. It is no problem to put it together. Just let me Know.
            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Thnx Doc.
              @ Chewy Talked w/tech who actually called me back. Said it was better to get it RMA'd as it's a precaution to not letting it run w/out fan and frying computer. Also said card was very good for casual and even a lil higher gaming, everything else too. Learned some tips from the guy. Think he was younger, maybe upper 20's or 30's. Big Gamer. Said in Gaming circle the saying is, "The hotter the card the better for Gaming." Of course proper cooling must be implemented. Thnx again for pointing me to that card.

Oh, and he was curious about the e-mail from HIS saying this card unfortunately passed they're rigid quality control. Asked to forward it. I did. He'll use it as small ammo if his supervisor gets on his case.

E-mailed Rosewill about the fast patch up on that power led setup. Hopefully they'll get back to me and resolve that too.

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

there's a world of difference between broken LED and a broken fan, never use a video card with a dead fan

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

That's why I think they figured to just RMA it since the LED was for the fan. Gave it light to see it running. Covering their butt. Prolly saving me a small headache also in case it went dead and messed things up. Although, once I see no graphics or w/e, I'm turning everything off.

P.S. there's this crazy bug going around hope none of you guys get it. Real pita. Very different strand.

Comment

Working...