• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rago88
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Aug 2005

BitTorrent question:

I am just now getting the lowdown and use of using the above method of file sharing and a question I have is, in order to use some sites, I need to be able to upload certain files or "give back"...
    this requires me to open a port which is closed for incoming file sharing..

I know how to do this but will I screw up my normal DSL connections by changing or opening up a port?
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

You shouldn't... I have all the ports open on my router, and it works fine.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• rago88
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Aug 2005

do you also have windows firewall up or [a] firewall?

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

No, I turned it off.

Firewalls just get in the way... but that's just my personal experience. A good anti-virus will do all the firewalling you need.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

Long Ago and Far Away

we used to have a P2P subforum?

It must have gotten out of hand?

This forum can be used by moderators/admins to post important community related items

24 Nov 2003
          regarding P2P clients I would refer you to this guide from THE malware experts

and here's a warning can

Using any peer-to-peer (P2P) or file sharing program is a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

The reason for this is that file sharing relies on its members giving and gaining unfettered access to computers across the P2P network. This practice can make you vulnerable to data and identity theft, system infection and remote access exploit by attackers who can take control of your computer without your knowledge. Even if you change the risky default settings to a safer configuration, downloading files from an anonymous source increases your exposure to infection because the files you are downloading may actually contain a disguised threat. Many malicious worms and Trojans, such as the Storm Worm, target and spread across P2P files sharing networks because of their known vulnerabilities. In some instances the infection may cause so much damage to your system that recovery is not possible and a Repair Install will NOT help!. In those cases, the only option is to wipe your drive, reformat and reinstall the OS.

Even the safest P2P file sharing programs that do not contain bundled spyware, still expose you to risks because of the very nature of the P2P file sharing process. By default, most P2P file sharing programs are configured to automatically launch at startup. They are also configured to allow other P2P users on the same network open access to a shared directory on your computer. The best way to eliminate these risks is to avoid using P2P applications. Read P2P Software User Advisories, Risks of File-Sharing Technology and P2P file sharing: Anticipate the risks....

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

Heh, but seeing as how that p2p subforum was about video downloaded from p2p, this type of question wouldn't have worked anyway. (And wow, that's just asking for people to be banned due to rule 6)

As for torrents, I use µTorrent, I know that doesn't contain any spyware or bad stuff. (I've actually been on their IRC rooms a few times, so I've talked to people who helped design it )

The thing is, it all depends on what type of stuff you plan to download. Like I've told friends who ask, just be careful. If you find a supposed mp3 file and it's only 100kb, you can be sure it's a virus. Same goes for videos and stuff. A TV episode that's 175MB, though, is likely to not be fake. (And most torrent sites have comment sections... so look at if everyone says it's a virus or not!)

Any time I've gotten viruses, it was from browser hijacks and corrupted files, one that comes to mind is Vundo (I made a thread about that earlier). I don't think I've ever gotten a virus by using p2p or torrents, and if I do accidentally download an infected file, my AVG pops up and I can delete it. So while I'm not telling you to ignore those safety warnings - I'm merely saying that it's really just a matter of common sense and making sure you're downloading safe files.
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

I recently met a musician who has been using P2P to distribute his band's music for the last 2 years

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

Yeah, I would do that if I had a band... or at least have a website with free mp3 downloads. If it means avoiding the evil record companies, I'm all for it.
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• rago88
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Aug 2005

appreciate all the heads up and info..

question:
                  if you do not open up an incoming port,
                  will download speed, read slooooow, be affected..

like no where near 2800kb's..even though you have done the speed test and are configured?

Comment

Working...