• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

Fresh Vista install with SP2 RC

for the moment i was like wow but then it went up to 22 % idle after few restarts after drivers installation and few windows updates, and browsing downloading it keeps round 27%.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by atifsh; 22 Feb 2009, 08:07 AM.
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Hi atifsh,

I have Vista Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit ...

Q1: So where do I get the SP2 for me?

Q2: Do I really need SP2? What does it give me over SP1?

Thanks,

G!

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by atifsh
      for the moment i was like wow but then it went up to 22 % idle after few restarts after drivers installation and few windows updates, and browsing downloading it keeps round 27%.
      I think it takes awhile for the Superfetch to correlate data or something. When I first got my Vista64 it showed over 5 GB of ram free. Now it caches like crazy as you can see. And I have Superfetch set to only cache boot files!!
      Attached Files

Comment

• atifsh
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2003

well 900mb usage idle is still big, perhaps sp2 final may or maynot do little better, for now they fixed some memory leakage frm gadgets, bluetooth 2.1 support that i cant check, but my dongle still sucks in vista no multi file transfers. going back to win7 in a day God bless acronis for that

bythe way win7 still hovers round 700 mb after everythiung i install and anntivirus and more running. no antivirus on this vista install yet its round 900

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

The only problem with the wonders of W7 is we are playing around with an Ultimate Beta but when I pull the PC off the rack it's gonna' have W7 "home premium" installed.

Comment

• atifsh
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2003

and that will be no problem, sisnce microsoft already told ultimate of seven will not be more then what vista have, thus u wont miss a thing, personally i dont use or do not require to use any of the goods ultimate gives.... if they are any good on the first place.

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

I'm not talking about extra features. I suspect that the installs are much smarter and other little tweaks are employed. Like when I looked at my minimum swap set up by XP Home, it was only 16 MB. When I installed XP Pro the minimum was set to like 1 1/2 times my ram and the max to about 3 times my ram size. Guess which one spent a lot of time resizing the swap file?

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

atifsh have you found in your travels an Unlocker clone that works in Vista64? Been having a lot of stubborn files and folders lately. Even the utilities that "mark for deletion at next reboot" get an error and crap out. Really annoying.

Comment

• atifsh
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2003

no i dont. but i didnt got those problems ur talking about also i havnt run 64bit vista that much. my system still have 4 gb and 32bit is better in my opinion.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

It's weird. Seems to act up now and then. Like if you do an explorer "move" to another folder you get the "you do not have permission" yadda yadda, but if I do the move with TeraCopy it just works. Strange.

Comment

• atifsh
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2003

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
                      It's weird. Seems to act up now and then. Like if you do an explorer "move" to another folder you get the "you do not have permission" yadda yadda, but if I do the move with TeraCopy it just works. Strange.
                      u sure u didnt played with permissions or with UAC. on windows 7 u cant copy stuff on root using some toolfor example u cant extract files on root. but u can in any folder created on root.

u can copy stuf from one drive to root using explorer no prob in that.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

Nope. Seems to act up when I use explorer to create an empty folder, then move files into it, then move the folder back. I'm going to use TeraCopy for that for awhile and see if it avoids the hassle. It's weird because sometimes you can use ProcessExplorer to unlock the handle and you can delete. Other times it either craps out or says it's unlocked but you still can't delete. Pretty bizarre when you can't even set it to delete on next reboot.

I'll see how TeraCopy works.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                          Eclectician
                          • Nov 2006

Just FYI I ran MalwareBytes and it found a registry hack. There was a key something like NoActiveDesktopChanges. Never saw that one before. Now I have to do another backup and delete the most recent.

Comment

• atifsh
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • May 2003

Vista SP2 RC for public available..

Comment

• MilesAhead
                              Eclectician
                              • Nov 2006

I can't get SP1 to go on, never mind 2 (sniff)

Comment

Working...