X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Junkie_ball
    • Jan 2004

Usb Port Issue

Hi All,

I'm after some advice. I've been rebuilding a friends computer. He has a AMD 3000+ 2.10Ghz, 1Gb Ram with a Asrock K7S8XE mother board. When i plug in either of his IDE hard drives (in external case) to any USB ports on the computer both on board and seperate usb card the usb mouse and keyboard freeze. Its almost as if the hard drive is stopping any other ports from working. Both external drive have own power source.

If you then disconnect the external Hd you can get the mouse and keyboard to work simply by pulling them out and re plugging them in. I know the system is still running as also had a PS/2 keyboard connect and could use that without issue whilst either of the external Hd works. To rule out hardware failure i tried the external drive on my system which seems to work fine.

I believe all the USB ports on his system are USB 1.0 will this cause a problem? Any thoughts or ideas greatly received. This issue was happening prior to the rebuild aswell.
    SYSTEM:

Pentioum Duo 6400, 8 GB Ram, 500Gb Hardrive, 32x DVD Rom, 16 x TCorp Duel Layer Burner, Geforce 7900GTX.

Bow to the gods of Digital-Digest

http://www.wix.com/martinhopkins/designandphotography
  • Junkie_ball
    • Jan 2004

***UPDATE***

Just checked on Asrock site and the built in ports are infact usb 2.0 not 1.0 as i thought.
    SYSTEM:

Pentioum Duo 6400, 8 GB Ram, 500Gb Hardrive, 32x DVD Rom, 16 x TCorp Duel Layer Burner, Geforce 7900GTX.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

Weak power supply?

Loaded wrong usb drivers?

Comment

• Junkie_ball
        • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by Chewy
        Weak power supply?

Loaded wrong usb drivers?
        Weak power supply is one thought i was having. The PSU is only a 350 Watt although all connected usb devices have there own power supply. Would it still draw power from the PSU if this was the case? Even so thought this would be minimal?

I'm sure the usb drivers are correct. I've tried the latest drivers via Microsoft update centre. I also rolled back to the original drivers as supplied with the motherboard.
        SYSTEM:

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

i smell conflict in irq's
          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• Junkie_ball
            • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by atifsh
            i smell conflict in irq's
            Never even gave that a thought will check them. Should they have not been reset to default though when i installed a fresh copy of windows which was previously being used as a storage disk?

Also a thought as the problem occurs regardless of which usb port i try on board or seperate card would i not be trying it on two seperate IRQ channels? The problem exists whichever port i use. Will have a look and check the IRQ channels prior to looking into changing the PSU though. Thanks for your thoughts guys most appreciated.
            SYSTEM:

Comment

• Junkie_ball
              • Jan 2004

Right an update!

Checked the IRQ and no conflict each device is running on a seperate channel. Have found a odd dicovery though if you pull the power lead from the PSU and allow to discharge for awhile and then boot up everything works together for a short time. The longer the PSU is left unplugged the longer the devices work together although the mouse and keyboard do freeze up in the end. Could this point toward the psu not being man enough to cope with the devices although each device has its own power supply?
              SYSTEM:

Comment

• Junkie_ball
                • Jan 2004

Ok its official this machine is driving me nuts. I am now being told after the machine being switched off for a day it will now not boot. It comes up with an errorisapnp.sys corrupt or missing. This happen last time i installed windows and the recovery console couldn't help so ended up just doing a full format on the drive and reinstalling xp pro SP3 as the drive had no files my friend wanted.

I have done a google search and it looks like this problem is wide spread with a couple posts refering it could be bad ram? We did stick an extra stick in so having my mate take that out and will see what effect if any that has.

Could this problem be the root cause of the usb ports not working together as the file is located in the driver folder of windows? Any help thoughts (or recipes for a bomb to sort the computer out once and for all) much appreciated.
                SYSTEM:

Comment

• atifsh
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2003

not booting yes, usb port issues unlikely, perhaps u have multiple problems...

not a bad idea to put in a friends / spare PSU.
                  Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• Junkie_ball
                    • Jan 2004

Ok sorted the booting issue out bad sectors on a very over used HDD. Ive now got the system up and running and seems to be stable (changed out HDD as he has 4 of them). Only problem i have now is back to the usb ports. Grrr. Fresh install of windows XP Pro on different HD and still have the issue with the ports freezing up.

I checked the asrock site for latest drivers or any hints to make of usb ports. They only have a driver for 98SE and ME for his motherboard (model: K758X) and state to use the windows update for microsoft standard drivers for xp. I've done this and when i use driverguide.com scan facility it indeed flags up the usb divers as incorrect or not functioning correctly. Unfortunately you can't just click download from the scam program without paying to use the site. The scan also give no indications of port make is there some site out there that does and is preferably free.

I'm now tending to rule out the PSU as the problem with the fresh build i've only connected the mouse, keyboard & Wireless internet dongle. When i plug my 2gb memory card into a port (or any other device) all ports freeze up. I have to remove the device that freezes the ports (tried all ports) and then unplug and replug the mouse, keyboard and dongle back in again to make them work?
                    SYSTEM:

Comment

• doctorhardware
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2006

Take a look at www.driverguide.com it is free. The site has a lot of drivers well over 600,000. You might be able to find something there. Hope this helps you out.
                      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

USB is run thru the northbridge chipset, that driver might be bad

Since sp2 windows xp all usb drivers are native to the OS, fat lady sang

Comment

• Junkie_ball
                          • Jan 2004

Thanks for all the comments and help. Not sure what was up with this machine. I seem to have fixed it now though. Had to disconnect a card reader that was running from to the USB plug on the motherboard and wire in the two redundant usb ports on his case.

On checking the drivers manually i found windows had insalled two drivers for each port an sis to pci driver (windows had selected as default driver) and another that just said standard USB driver. I changed all drivers back to the standard one and just like magic they all started working without any conflicts.

This one nearly broke me and but i'm a stubborn git. Thanks again for the help and advice i'm glad o say case closed
                          SYSTEM:

Comment

Working...