• Show
Clear All
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

How to Boost Up Laptop Wireless Reception

Hi folks,

I added a DELL Bluetooth/WIFI card to my laptop Gateway M-6862 ... it works fine when I am within 50 feet of the Wireless Router and there is only one (1) wall in between me and the location of Router. My Signal Strength is 5 Full Bars (total available bars showing on the Icon in the Tray).

Now I am moving my office and I will have about 110 feet of distance and 5 or 6 walls in between and numerous partitions in those offices blocking me. Now my Signal Strength has dropped to 1 Bar ONLY.

Q1: With what I have now ... in my laptop ... what is the BEST way to Boost Up RECEPTION to my laptop from my end? I mean ways I can work out from my laptop. Please from Simplest to Hardest way!

Q2: If I use a USB WIFI Adapter to boost up my reception ... how does it work? Will it bypass my internal WIFI card or what?

Q3: What kind of Antenna should the USB type adapter have? For example I see some claim that a High Gain 5 dBi antenna is needed others say you need 10 dBi Gain!!! So what do I really need?

Q4: Any other ideas to get the most Signal from that far away? The easiest Solution please!

Q5: If I am able to do any Modification to the Wireless Router ... what would be the Best Solution?

Thanks,

G!
Working...