• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Anyone use AdBlock with Firefox?

I have been using AdBlock with Firefox, but it is not really doing the job. I am looking for something that will stop all the animated ads on web pages. Anyone use anything that works?

Thanks,
    katz
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

Can you point to such a page ?

I use ABP, and I am fairly satisfied with it. And I use NoScript too.
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• Abuilder
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Oct 2006

Hi Katz
      Besides Ad Block + & NoScript you could install an ad blocking HOSTS file. There are some listed on the Malwarebytes forums that are pretty good.

I get almost no ads with this simple and very effective setup.
      They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• katzdvd
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Feb 2006

Can you point to such a page ?
        http://www.guitarworld.com/ The ad in the center/left of the page is active for me...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/h3 - ad - same as above...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ ad - same as above...

unless I am misunderstanding what this AdBlock is supposed to be doing...

Comment

• paglamon
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

This is the image of the first website after Adblocking all frames and images(that were blockable):
          sigpic

Comment

• soup
            Just Trying To Help
            • Nov 2005

Look for FlashBlock, it might do what you are looking for. It's a Firefox add on. I had both running at one time, AdBlock & FlashBlock.

Comment

• katzdvd
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Feb 2006

This is the image of the first website after Adblocking all frames and images(that were blockable)
              That large white rectangle near the top is blocked for you - for me that shows up as a changing pic. It must be the NoScript that you are running. I will install that as well.

@ soup; I will have a go at what you suggested if NoScript doesn't do it for me...

Comment

• paglamon
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2005

That large white rectangle near the top is blocked for you - for me that shows up as a changing pic. It must be the NoScript that you are running.
                No. It was blocked with ABP. Right-click on that image and select "Adblock image" from the context menu.
                sigpic

Comment

• katzdvd
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Feb 2006

No. It was blocked with ABP. Right-click on that image and select "Adblock image" from the context menu.
                  I see...guess I should have read the whole tut. on AdBlock. At any rate, I installed NoScript in the meantime & it is doing the blocking for me. But, now it seems like I am missing a lot on webpages, since everything is blocked.

Guess that is the trade off...

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                    NOT an online superstore
                    • Oct 2005

I use Ad Muncher... it works great for me!

It's not free, but I find it detects ads much better than AdBlock. Although, on the "Portable Firefox" I have on my flash drive, as well as when I dual-boot to Ubuntu, I do use that plugin.
                    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Dan
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by katzdvd
                      I see...guess I should have read the whole tut. on AdBlock. At any rate, I installed NoScript in the meantime & it is doing the blocking for me. But, now it seems like I am missing a lot on webpages, since everything is blocked.

Guess that is the trade off...
                      NoScript needs lots of configuration for your frequently visited sites, once setup though it does the job well. ABP worked fine for me on those sites too, maybe it needs some adjusting as well.

Comment

• katzdvd
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Feb 2006

NoScript needs lots of configuration for your frequently visited sites, once setup though it does the job well. ABP worked fine for me on those sites too, maybe it needs some adjusting as well.
                        Yeah, I see that. I don't want to put that much time & effort into configuring the whole thing. Plus, I was just looking for something that would show the ad in a "static" form.

I don't mind a static ad, especially on sites I go to that are selling stuff. I was just wanting to get away from everything dancing & moving around on the webpage.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                          Eclectician
                          • Nov 2006

It's not so much configuration I find annoying with NoScript. It's that it seems to update every other day. Between it and Flashgot if you have any batch the launches the default browser, and it's FireFox, it's like 3 out of 10 times the browser will come up without hanging asking you if you want to update one or the other or both. I wonder if there's a command line switch that means "don't check for updates" ?

Comment

• doctorhardware
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Dec 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
                            I use Ad Muncher... it works great for me!

It's not free, but I find it detects ads much better than AdBlock. Although, on the "Portable Firefox" I have on my flash drive, as well as when I dual-boot to Ubuntu, I do use that plugin.
                            Thanks for the heads up about ad muncher. I am going to buy it, it works great. It even blocks the b.casalemedia crap which I am very happy about.
                            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...