• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Integrated onboard graphics and discrete PCI- express 16 video card:

Did my homework. So right now consensus is if plugging in a PCI xpress card 16 into a board w/integrated video but different chip from of course different manufacturer, it will disable onboard video and you're ready to go. Nvidia's only one upto now to include Hybrid where if discrete card not required on app. then the onboard takes over. Their reasoning is of course cut down on costs, but no evidence of real increase power of both on when a app. requires it. Not as much as a high power card by itself anyway.

Here's a link just in case for some initial info: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-nv...w-31126-2.html

So anyone experience any real issues w/inserting lets say a PCI express 16 Nvidia card into a ATI integrated video mobo? Pitch in because I'm ready to pull the trigger today on either a ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI. I have to RMA my ASUS so I don't know turnaround time until I speak w/them again soon. If anything like Video card I'm definitely just getting new mobo. Prolly try to snatch a Socket AM3 backwards to 2. Really at this time don't want to get new CPU for 3 socket. Ram is cheap, but a CPU I have to watch budget for as of now.

P,S. Newegg not what it used to be. That's my experience only so far. Last couple of mos. issues w/defective products. Could be just part of the whole PC building experience or they're going down quickly. Thnx.
    Last edited by dr_ml422; 3 May 2009, 02:26 AM.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Obviously, hybrid won't work I don't think with two different branded (ATI/Nvidia) chips, but I don't see there would be any problem with replacing the integrated graphics with any brand of card - there should be a BIOS option to select which one you want to boot from any such, and so if one connection doesn't work, use the other and change the BIOS setting to reflect it.

Which Nvidia card are you getting? ATI's are doing very well in terms of the price/performance ratio on almost their entire range, from the 4350 for HD/Blu-ray (non gamers), to the 4850 for general use (great price for 3D and HD/BD), or the higher end 4870 over the GTS 250 or 260+ (core 216).
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Hi Admin. I'm just going by what the article said in Tom's Hardware. I like nVidia. ATI is good, but I think more complicated w/catalyst center. I have this one>which was a steal and fit nicely in my build> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3SHIP-_-03ship

I also have this 1 as either backup or waiting for next build>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121267

I don't think I got it w/rebate, but it's also a steal and looked lovely. I just now got this for early stages of build> 1 x (10010064) AMD HDZ720WFGIBOX Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz Socket AM3 95W 2.80 GHz Desktop Processor Retail @ $139.00

I've been busy learning and building/repairing. New side business stepping up. Get here when every chance. Good to hear from you.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

I see you found a good price on the new AMD phenom II CPUS.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Catalyst has improved a lot, more stable than before, but I don't go back in there a lot after the initial settings.

The main difference between the 9400 GT and the Radeon HD 4350 would be the former's better 3D, and the latter's better HD/Blu-ray decoding (although this is only really an issue if your CPU is not up to the task).
          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

Well all your trailers look exactly like the trailers on TV, and I'm not even using that new processor I just snagged in earlier post. So I'll be even better by next build. I'm going yard hopefully a lil at a time. That catalyst reminds me of so many bundled software that justs gets confusing after a while. The Physx technology by Nvidia is very user friendly and the settings are easier.

I'm posting something new that's driving me nuts, so if anyone can help please do. It'll be in this forum.

Comment

Working...