X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wcbncal
    • Jan 2006

NVIDA Graphics Card Problem

Hi,

I am trying out some new 3D graphics software. I have come into a problem with Bryce 6.1 (DAZ software). The problem is not confined to this program, just a lot worse than with other apps.

The problem is that when the program displays a menu that has a mosly black bacground, the graphics card (BFG Tech, NVIDA Geforce 8400 GS Driver version is 182.50) shuts off the output! (off and on repetedly). This causes the display (HP W2207) to "search" for an active input (it has 2, 1 DVI and 1 SVGA). So, between the 2 I can't really use the menu! (the display "flickers on and off between a black screen and the menu with a mostly black background).

The rest of the system is an HP 8120n, media center with the internal hard drives upgraded to 1 TB, and 2 external 1 TB hard drives) There is 3GB total ram. The OS is Windows Vista Home Premium, SP2.

Dose anyone have suggestions?

Thanks.
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

Sound like an issue with the video card. If you have another card I would remove the 8400 and try another one.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

What kind of connection are you using to connect to your monitor? VGA or DVI? If using DVI, have you tried with another cable? It could be a sync issue with the monitor and your graphics card, which causes the signal to be dropped, then found, then dropped ... cables can be the cause of this sometimes.

What resolution is the software running in? What refresh rate? You say other apps are affected, are these also 3D type apps, but is the Windows desktop unaffected?

And I assume you've went to the HP website to download drivers for the monitor as well? Monitor drivers are often ignored, even by brand name computer manufacturers, and they can be extremely helpful (as sometimes you may be using a display resolution and refresh rate that your monitor may not support fully, but your incorrect or generic drivers may be telling your graphics card that it does support it).

I'm thinking perhaps that if the Windows desktop and desktop apps (like your Internet browser, Word ...) is unaffected, then it's some issue where the output of fullscreen titles (utilising D3D, OpenGL) is producing an output that's not entirely compatible with your monitor, which sometimes could be a software issue related to refresh rate or resolution.

Now, this could still be a faulty video card issue like doctorhardware says, so if you have another video card or even another monitor to try out, then it might be worth doing that first.
      Last edited by admin; 18 Aug 2009, 12:33 PM.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• wcbncal
        • Jan 2006

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

The connection is DVI. The display runs at the "default" 1680/1080 60 HZ". And. yes the drivers are current (except the NVIDA driver is not the latest).

To a large extent, all applications are affected, including the Windows boot screen.

What is common is that the screen is predominantly "black". I think that the problem is becoming worse the longer the system is running, so it is possible that there is a temperature problem with the card (hardware). I have to do some more testing!

Will

Comment

• wcbncal
          • Jan 2006

Here is an update:

Note, I made a minor mistake in reporting the display resolution. It is 1680x1050 @60 HZ. Also, the display has an internal diagnostic that reports cable problems ie, reports if the (DVI) cable is disconnected from the Video card.

I exchanged the BFG NVIDA 8400 card for the originally installed NVIDA 7350 LE. That has improved the performance and reduced the "flickering" to a tolerable level. That has changed the NVIDA driver version to 162.30. note the 7300 LE has 128 MB on board memory and the 8400 has 512 MB

I still want to upgrade to a higher performance card, NVIDA preferred because that is what is most compatible with the MOBO. The 7350 LE really does not have the performance for the graphics editing programs. It really slow with (for example) Photoshop CS3 Extended. The "clone stamp" tool and some of the selection tools are very difficult to use. Apparently, the 8400 may not have been a sufficient upgrade.

Would an x600 Geforce card be better? How much on board video? Are there settings I can make in the NVIDA control panel to help?

Thanks,

Will

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

You swapped the card with another card and it still has the same problem, albeit reduced? That makes it sound like the problem is not with the graphics cards, but rather still something within your system, like the monitor, the motherboard or even the power supply.

What kind of power supply do you have? Wattage and in particular the Amp rating on the +12V rail are important (NVIDIA states 18A on the +12V rail, or rails, and 300W power supply as required). And if you want to upgrade to a more powerful graphics card, then the power supply becomes even more important (might even need dual +12V rails, each providing 16 or 18A).

I found this somewhat old thread which might be describing the same problem you're having, but no solutions unfortunately:

Keep up to date with the latest announcements & discussions on the hot topics.

Now I also found this thread which talks about a setting under the NVIDIA drivers called "CVT Reduced Blank" option, which has helped this particular user to solve his flickering problem:

I think it's an option available when you create a custom resolution, under the "Timing Standard" option). This blog post might be exactly what you need:

Here’s a tip that hopefully will assist those who have Samsung 204B LCD monitors and who are encountering random momentary blackouts. (It mi...

As for a new card, the best price/performance ratio these days belong to the ATi Radeon 4xxx range, but if you want to stay with NVIDIA, then something like a 1GB 9500 GT is only a little bit more expensive. Not sure how much of an improvement you'll get in Photoshop though, which is largely limited by things like CPU and RAM (and graphics card RAM), rather than the 2D capabilities of your graphics card (most of them being fairly equal, these days) - but your CPU and RAM are both more than adequate, and upgrading a 128 MB card to a 512 MB card was also the right move. I would keep the 8400 GS, try to fix the blacking out issue, and then maybe upgrade to Photoshop CS4, as it includes GPU accelerated functions which I think is supported by your graphics card (any Nvidia 8xxx or later, I think) - however, GPU accelerated functions means that a card with better 3D performance will actually give you better Photoshop performance (at least in the accelerated functions), but you'll have to look towards the Nvidia GTX 2xx range (eg. GTX 250) and the ATI Radeon HD 4xxx range (eg. the 4770, 4850) to get the best out of it (but these are more gamer cards, so are a bit wasteful just to use their GPU acceleration features). In other words, Photoshop doesn't really depend that much on the graphics card.

Comment

• wcbncal
              • Jan 2006

Hi again,

Thank you for the information. I looked at the threads you listed. They seem to b concerned with a particular Samaung display. The information does not match the NVIDA control panel that I have. It seems the NVIDA panel has different features depending on the display.

The HP display uses an auxillary "My Display" program (OEM from Portrait Displays). I will explore the diagnostics functuon of the program (there is a procedure to repair damaged registry entries, which is another known cause of the "blinking display" problem)

Also thank you for the graphics card suggestions. I will switch the cards back tomorrow.

Will

Comment

• wcbncal
                • Jan 2006

Hi,

Resetting the registry entries fixed the problem!

I now have the 8400 card installed, and updated the driver to the new 190.38 version. Note, when I cleared and reset the display registry entries, windows backdated the driver to 162.30.

The exact procedure that I used applies only to HP Displays that support the DDC/CI (Display Data Channel/Command Interface) channel defined by the Video Electronics Standards Association.

However, clearing and resetting the registry is a valid procedure for any display. This is a common problem, and resetting the registry is recommended by NVIDA. I know I saw the reference on their site, but I neglected to "bookmark" or print the article (and could not relocate the reference today).

In reference to the question about the system power supply, it is a Delta 350AB 8A 03. There are 2 12V@ 18A, 1 5V 13A, 1 5V 2A, 1 3.3V 15A, and 1 -12V 0.8A outputs (350 W output total).

Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Will

Comment

• admin
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2001

Glad you got your problem solved. I think the 8400 GS should fit your needs unless you need 3D gaming or (extensive 3D creation).

Comment

Working...