X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Windows 7 Upgrade Question

OK, so I have Windows Vista Home Premium on my laptop, with the free Windows 7 upgrade thing.

However, I was looking at the pamphlet in the CD's case (The manufacturer gave me the full OEM thing, rather than just a sleeve), and it mentions that it would upgrade to 32-bit Windows 7 since my Windows Vista is 32-bit.
    But the retail ones have both 32-bit and 64-bit on the same disc.

Anybody know if the upgrade disc WILL have the 64-bit version? As since my laptop has 4GB of RAM, I really want the 64-bit.

Also, I kinda want Windows 7 Professional since it has the Windows XP mode. But my Vista Home Premium upgrades to 7 Home Premium. Would my smartest move be to use "Anytime upgrade" to upgrade mine to Business, or do you think I could call Microsoft and pay a pro-rated price to get the next-step-up upgrade? (Or just upgrade it once I have Windows 7, if that's do-able)

I would just call Microsoft directly, but they have a tendency of not answering my questions, so I'd rather ask here.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection
  • Ammiddeon
    • Jul 2009

Windows 7 Upgrade Question

Without having read any of the licensing I cant really say for sure but I doubt that there are any special restrictions on the upgrade version other than you are supposed to own Vista.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Oh, so what Microsoft sends would be the same as:

Or am I misunderstanding? I mean, the Vista that I have is an OEM version, and they specifically disabled upgrades, as well as didn't include the 64-bit version. Is that usual for a new computer? (Since I had my laptop custom built, the manufacturer just gave me the complete Vista OEM package, with the license info and all... not just a recovery disc)

And also, I'd need a way to go from Home Premium to Professional... Does anybody know if Windows 7 will have an "anytime upgrade" like Vista does? Because I could probably use it AFTER installing Windows 7 in that case...
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

For definitive info I would go here:

There are MS employees who hang out there and also many MS certified professional types. I know I saw a matrix with all the upgrade options but I forget which board it's on.

Another resource is this site:

Gathering the right people, content and resources, ITPro Today gives professionals insight into the technologies and skills needed to take on the challenges.

It has a lot of the official MS info for 7.

Comment

Working...