X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alphamedical
    Banned
    • Aug 2009

Ubuntu Linux-related question?

I tried Wubi a few days ago (a program that sets Ubuntu up like a Windows program and forms a dual boot) and I loved it.

However, I only had it for a day, and then it stopped working. I didn't do any coding or anything, but I did install a lot of things...

Anyway, that aside, I was wondering if I got a full version (without Windows Vista as a dual boot) of Ubuntu Linux, would it be more stable? Would my sound work? Would pretty much everything work if I had all the cards and drivers?
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

A lot of people like Ubuntu and yes it should be more stable installed on its own partition and run directly. I haven't tried it in a year or so. I wasn't all that impressed. If you have a broadband connection through a popular network interface I recommend Mandriva. It's a one CD install. If your network card is supported it picks up your network during the install and you can add packages right off the network.

I used it quite a bit back when it was Mandrake 9.1. I downloaded the Mandriva one cd but I never got around to installing it. I did my time with Slackware so I figure I've paid my dues to society and can be lazy and just boot Windoze nowadays.

Comment

• FunkyRes
      n00b
      • Sep 2009

Originally Posted by alphamedical
      Anyway, that aside, I was wondering if I got a full version (without Windows Vista as a dual boot) of Ubuntu Linux, would it be more stable?
      Probably.
      I normally use CentOS (a Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone) but I just installed Ubuntu Jaunty a few days ago and was very impressed.

Would my sound work? Would pretty much everything work if I had all the cards and drivers?
      That really depends upon your hardware.
      I build my own systems so I pick hardware known to work well in Linux, some hardware is better supported than other.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

AFA the hardware, one thing I forgot to mention, most distros have a hardware compatibility list someplace on the website for that distro. You should be able to search through and see if your audio, video, and disk controllers are supported, as well as scanners, and other peripherals.

As one example, I had a Gateway Pentium III machine. The Mandrake 9.1 was pretty much set up for HP machines. But the hardware I had was a close match, so I tried Mandrake 9.1. Everything went on smooth up and running. It makes life a lot easier if all your hardware is on the list for that distro, esp. if you're not an old Linux hand who can rebuild kernels and add in modules for specific hardware etc..

Comment

Working...