X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Firefox getting prissy

Anyone getting weird errors about having to restart Firefox because of Microsoft Presentation Foundation? All of a sudden I'm getting this on installs that have been stable for months. I read the GHacks and MS articles how to remove the Firefox Agent thing that causes the problem, but there's no indication it's there. The registry setting they tell to look for is not there. The folder in the .NET structure they say to look for is not there. It's not in the AddOns list. It just pops up whenever it feels like it to make me restart Firefox.

Something is weird. I'm getting it on XP SP2 and I know I don't have any .NET 3.5 on that!
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

You could give updating to SP3 a shot. All machines that have XP32 SP3 here have no issues with Firefox.

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

There are a bunch of articles about removing it but not all have all the info. Usually the piece missing is the registry keys. HKLM\Software\Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions get rid of the CLSID that starts with '{20' then in Mozilla Plugins a bit down in RegEdit you will see one that says "microsoft" just delete it. Then follow the other info about renaming the subfolder in Windows Presentation Foundation (something with agent in the folder name .. it should be obvious.)

Then you have to open firefox to about:config and make the recommended changes. Sorry but I can't find the exact page I found that had all the stuff. Too many hits with partial info. But if you filter the terms "general" you should see the obvious one, reset it to nothing... then the term "microsoft" it will be obvious which term to reset. If you deleted the reg key and renamed the folder already the string may already be blank.

The really nasty thing is I didn't even install Firefox .. it was a stable setup, and this thing was still put on with no notice or permission. And I don't have auto updates on.. I have all updates off noway nohow.

But anyway, the point being when you find removal instructions look for a CLSID in the firefox extensions that starts with '{20' if it doesn't mention that then it probably doesn't give you all the steps to get rid of this thing.

Of course now I have to do all new image backups and restore point so I don't get this thing back again!
      Last edited by MilesAhead; 18 Oct 2009, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

I was having some weird issues with updating open office. I was getting MS some thing about the windows installer not configured properly. But I could install other apps with no problems. This was both on XP sp3 and and vista sp2. Updated Vista last night downloaded the open office and was able to update open office. I don't know if it is related or not but something is going on.
        Last edited by doctorhardware; 18 Oct 2009, 08:37 AM.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

I guess there's some explicit thing to do with Firefox and WPF about "one click" or something. I don't even know what the exact issue is, but it looks like MS put this stuff on so you could use this WPF feature, without telling anyone.

The FF coders have already blocked it, but still you don't know if you'll have to restart FF and interrupt what you are doing, unless you remove it. Also I guess on Firefox Betas, like in my case, the thing doesn't even show up in the AddOns list. You just get this restart dialog for no apparent reason. I guess FF blocks it when it tries to kick in.. but still, you have to restart and that's a pita.

edit:

I'm redoing all my Registry saves, restore points, and image backups so I don't inadvertently put this thing back on if I do a restore.

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

FF just crashed 4 times on me. Never happened before, and I'm too tired to Google and find out. Bottom line I think MS just wants to house everything as usual, especially now that 7 is here. I went to My Digital's site, and checked the update compatibility thread for windows update, and all were tested and found safe. So idk what's going on, but they should get the ball going soon here.

I'm very surprised Chrome hasn't even updated to 7. A patch was given as a work around, but like most never fully worked.

I have Home Premium 7 64 on both my builds w/just definitely approved and tested x64 7 apps., which ttytt are just about 4. I will be treading slowly until things really get going w/7.

Only thing I could think of is temp cache in IE that gets crazy high, but Miles posted he disables IE, so I'm outta answers. I'm fried ttytt. Came on to participate a bit b4 hitting sack.
            SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

I keep getting the same thing now. FF closes and tells me to either restart or end, then it sends a report. & x64 Home here. Never a issue before. I can't have G-mail open at the same time as the forum as sooner or later FF will crash. I'm not even going to bother looking for answers where M$ is concerned. They came hard this time w/guns blazing. Even Verizon I think is dumping the aforementioned account of Iphone supposedly in Feb, and doing the new Windows Fone. T-Mobile supposedly is new guy taking i-phone account. Good luck T.
              SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...