X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Internal HD storage tricks

I'm using docking stations so I'm wondering if anyone has come up with some neat improvised methods of storing the drive when not in use? I don't see shelling out $15 for those plastic drive cases. I'm just thinking there are a lot of hw guys on this board and some of you may have come up with clever ways to store the drive I haven't thought of.

There must be something better than a shoe box or the box the thing shipped in. Maybe something where you could store 2 or 3 in one box without them banging around against each other? Just looking for ideas. Something that might be hanging around the house that has natural separators in it or something along that line.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 18 Jul 2010, 10:07 AM.
  • pfloyd
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jun 2007

Go to wal*mart and get one of the cheap plastic boxes.
    You raise the blade,
    You make the change,
    You rearange me till I'm sane.
    You lock the door, throw away
    the key,
    There's someone in my head
    and it's not me.

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

Yeah, I've been looking through Walmart online catalog and others. For now I just have a brief case set up. It's fairly convenient. If I buy more bare drives then I'll have to do something else but I can fit 3 in the brief case at least without stacking. Better than cardboard box anyway.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by pfloyd
        Go to wal*mart and get one of the cheap plastic boxes.
        Found it today. The perfect cheap way to store 5 drives. I think it was $8.

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

Don't be fooled by all the talk about HDDs being so delicate. I've been docking for a while now myself and have about 8 or so. I just 1.Keep the most used ones in the Docking Station unless you're going offline for a while. 2. I keep the original anti-static bags they come in, the silver ones, and just put them back in there w/the silicon dry pack if still have and into a cardboard box from another shipment. One that'll fit them nicely. Stack them on top of each other w/the mechanical side down and you're good to go. The extra length on the edges provides enough space for neat and careful stacking.

Tbh sometimes there're just in the silver bags on my giant computer table. No one is near my stuff so I'm good. Or you can go here:

Buy some 5x7 anti-static bags and even the 10x12s and you can even store a mobo or w/e. They're great and at Bulk dirt cheap. Bottom line don't make too much of it. If Wally has a nice box that's cool. Unless you have a nursery in the house or a dog kernel etc... you're fine.
          SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

Thanks for the advice and the link.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
              Thanks for the advice and the link.
              Np. I forgot to mention that I also put either an anti-static bag or the original silver anti-static bag right over the drive in the Docking Station like for overnight etc...
              SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
                Np. I forgot to mention that I also put either an anti-static bag or the original silver anti-static bag right over the drive in the Docking Station like for overnight etc...
                That's a good idea. Dust is driving me nuts. That's a good cheap way to keep the dust off.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

I found this at Walmart

Cables Unlimited 10" x 12" Metalized Anti-Static Bags, 10-Pack

for less than $9 shipped. 10 should do me for quite awhile. I'll have
                  to fold them to stick the drive in the little drawer tower thingie,
                  but they should be good for double duty as dust cover. Less than
                  a buck ea. ain't bad with delivery.

Comment

Working...