40 gig C drive
    120gig WD K drive
    All else is what came from Dell.
    Does that help ?

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

Don't know but someone familiar with Dell may know something. Speaking of which, do they have forums? Many times on manufacturer's sites you learn about quirks you can't find anywhere else. I had 2 Pentium 4 HP pavilion PCs for years and I didn't know there was an Easter Egg to set the fan speeds. They'd overheat and lock up on me. Until I asked around on an HP user site.

Comment

• Ronno6
        • Aug 2010

Maybe I'll give that a shot. Thanks for your interest.

Comment

• doctorhardware
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2006

I am thinking, that there may be a bug with the video card, and that is why it is not shutting down properly. If the computer does not shut down the signal from the video card is not turned off. That is why the monitor will not shut down properly.
          Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Ronno6
            • Aug 2010

A possibility, I suppose. But, reaffirming the power settings that are still shown in the Settings screen returns things to working as they should-for a while.
            I dunno, but I guess I have to live with it.
            Thanks

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

The only other possibility I can think of is some application is changing the registry setting. You might try Sysinternals process monitor Registry Monitor function to track it down:

Monitor file system, Registry, process, thread and DLL activity in real-time.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Ronno6
                A possibility, I suppose. But, reaffirming the power settings that are still shown in the Settings screen returns things to working as they should-for a while.
                I dunno, but I guess I have to live with it.
                Thanks
                I'm just curious. Are you running Chrome browser?
                I was looking through a thread on another site and the person claimed Chrome hosed his power settings. Just a shot in the dark.

Comment

• Ronno6
                  • Aug 2010

Thanks for your continued responses.
                  I have Chrome installed, but seldom use it. I've gotten used to Firefox, and that's what I use about 99.99% of the time.
                  I'll have to look into the Registry Monitor function you refer to. My son is a MS certified pro and we'll be riding our bicycles 125 miles together this weekend. I'll have to bounce that one off him somewhere on a screaming downhill........
                  Once again, the settings themselves remain constant-nothing actually changes them,XP just does not employ them. I do not have to change anything when I "re-apply" them. Just click on the 5 minute monitor setting, hit "Apply" then "OK" then "OK" on the power schemes screen.
                  Last edited by Ronno6; 23 Sep 2010, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Working...