X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Processor Temp Info?

I've been searching around for info about processor running temp and max temp. It seems to be a vast wasteland of vague. Even on the CPU maker web pages I can't seem to get a straight indication of what the max is that will halt the CPU. What can it run at safely for extended periods etc..

Seems to be a lot of word of mouth.
    Are there any reliable sources?
  • Abuilder
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Oct 2006

Hi Miles
    This is a rather old list of safe (max) operating temps for many chips. This links is page 5 of there tutor,

If you are looking for info on a particular chip try searching using “CPU datasheet”
    They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

Thanks for the info.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

I think I see the reason for my confusion. According to the Core Temp developer, the Phenom sensor doesn't report an absolute temperature. There is some offset that is not specified. What's important according to the Core Temp FAQ is the number of degrees below TjMax. The latest Core Temp shows TjMax on my processor. When pegged I'm still running 45 degrees below that. Stock fans are noisy I guess is the gist of it. But Core Temp shows the temps in black so it must consider them in the safe range.

My old dual core looks like it needs a dusting. But I've never had either lock up even when processing video.

I did take a look at my dual core with HWMonitor. Even though you still can't hear 'em when both cores are maxed out, HWMonitor shows the fans do speed up a tad. Looks like a can of air is all I need.
        Last edited by MilesAhead; 2 Oct 2010, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...