stream movies to wireless blu ray player?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sierra54
    • Dec 2006

stream movies to wireless blu ray player?

I have all of my movies saved to an external hard drive which is connected via USB to my wireless router, Linksys E3200. All of the movies are saved as ISO images. I would like to be able to stream these movies to a Sony S580 blu ray player. Will I have to convert all of the movies to another format or will the E3200 media center be able to play the iso's? Not sure where to start with this and would like to avoid converting every iso to a different format.

If I must convert, is mkv or mpeg-4 a good alternative?

Thanks.
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

From what I can find out, the Linksys E3200 is a not a media streamer, but just a router that allows for UPnP/DLNA. What this means is that the actual decoding of video files will have to be done on your Blu-ray player, and so only the files supported by your Blu-ray player will actually play.

It looks like your player supports these formats:

AVCHD Disc Format Forlder:
    BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA
    MPEG-1 Video/PS (.mpg .mpeg, .m2ts,
    .mts): BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA
    MPEG-2 Video/PS, TS ( .mpg.mpeg, .m2ts,
    MPEG-4 AVC (.mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts,
    WMV9 (.wmv, .asf): BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA

Out of the list, I would recommend MKV, converted using a tool like VidCoder to ensure maximum compatibility.

Or possibly the even simpler solution is to get a networked capable media player that supports ISO files (these connect directly to your TV via HDMI, and to your network via a wireless or wired connection), and save yourself a lot of time.
    Last edited by admin; 27 Dec 2011, 02:23 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Sierra54
      • Dec 2006

Sorry, it is an E3000 router. I've been trying to use VLC media player to stream while coverting the movie to avi with no success.

Would it be possible to add/delete files from the external hard drive if I plug it into the blu ray player using the USB? Not sure if I will be able to access it from the computer.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

If you're willing to use your computer to act your UPnP/DLNA server (as opposed to the router), then there are other options open, such as using PS3 Media Server. PMS (I know, I know) can be set up to re-encode video on the fly to a format that's supported by your Blu-ray player (despite the name of the software, it does work with other DLNA compatible players, like your Blu-ray player - there's even a couple of threads on their forum about various problems and solution with your player, for example: PS3 Media Server • View topic - Cant transcode with Sony BDP-S580 Blu Ray?).

DVD ISOs are supported (at least for the PS3).
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• cgsstl
          • Dec 2011

I have this same BluRay player. Like it, except it'll play some avi files and some mp4 files, but not all.
          My MediaGate will play them all! So not sure why Sony (which is MUCH bigger) can't do the same... frustrating since 90% of my movies are in these formats.
          Anyway, until they upgrade their codecs, I'll have to recode these files to a codec it likes. This will probably take a couple months.

Comment

• cgsstl
            • Dec 2011

It didn't like my usb drive either. Seems this player is pickier than I anticipated when I asked for it on my Xmas list....

Comment

Working...