• admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Microsoft claims Linux stole 230 patents

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

that's very interesting, microsoft has been the worst software company in history for borrowing ideas, patented or not, if they are used or originated first by linux or open source, the MS patents wouldn't hold any weight

Monopolies never play fair, they just buy or bully the competetion

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

No specific examples are given, but apparently 65 infringements in GUI/design; that's a whole lot. Did they patent the use of menus, mouse cursors and desktops?
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

It would be a question of invention I would think, and we all know xerox got it all started and jobs stole/borrowed then bill did the same

Comment

• Gary D
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2005

One question: Who invented tabbed browsing? What was IE7's big "improvement"?

I support FF because I like tabbed browsing.
          Gary D

Comment

• Dan
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Dec 2005

Unless I'm crazy, I've been using tabbed browsing with FF way before IE7 was even a whisper.

very quick google....

tabbed browsing history

Over the last few weeks, questions about the origins of tabbed browsing have come up several times. I thought it would be worth a short post to put my thoughts on the subject in front of a larger audience for scrutiny (and flames

Tabbed browsing is neither a Firefox nor Opera invention. Firefox and Opera fans, both, should step back from any claims to this invention.

The first real tabbed browser with any significant presence on the web was Netcaptor, created by the very talented Adam Stiles way back in 1997.

The next major implementation of tabbed browsing was the work of HJ van Rantwijk with MultiZilla, a tabbed browsing extension for Mozilla that copied pretty much everything that Adam had done in Netcaptor. HJ launched this extension for Mozilla back in 2000.

In September of 2001, Dave Hyatt added a tabbed browsing mode to Mozilla. This feature was release in Mozilla 0.9.5 in October of 2001

In December of 2001, Opera Software released version 6 of its Opera browser which was the first version to contain a genuined tabbed browsing mode (along with its SDI and MDI modes).

In September of 2002, Phoenix 0.1 (which would eventually be renamed to Firefox) shipped its first release which contained the most usable tabbed browsing implemenatation to date

In January of 2003, Apple introduced the Safari web browser which contained a very nice tabs implemenation.

In May of 2005, Microsoft announced that IE 7 (due later in the year) would have a tabbed browsing interface. The MSN team at Microsoft shipped a tabs-capable toolbar for IE 6 in June of 2005.
            Seems that Firefox wasn't the official originator but the first to really implement it effectively?
            Last edited by Dan; 15 May 2007, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• locoeng
              Who Farted?
              • Dec 2005

Nice find Dan...who'da thunk it?

Buncha a pirates those guys are....

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
              Walt Kelly

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by locoeng
                Nice find Dan...who'da thunk it?

Buncha a pirates those guys are....
                A good TV movie on this subject:

Pirates of Silicon Valley
                Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

Discovery Channel just had an interesting show which traced Microsoft's dirt back to when Net Escape was actually the top dog or even the only dog into the internet arena when Billy and his henchmen moved in and both bought and spied their way into taking over the whole www thing. I was channel surfing when I came across this and my suspicions about why Billy Boy went into full philanthropic mode were confirmed. He was found guilty on countless charges and nearly had a nervous break down. Had to pay millions and of course Net Escape never fully recovered but sold it's shares and became millionaires anyway. Microsoft was nearly on verge of being a goner but money won out in the end.

Billy handed over daily operations to whomever is coming out w/this Vista crap and disappeared to Africa to open up hospitals. Wtf has this guy ever really put out that hasn't been robbed or bought? I know it happens across the board in many other industries but damn I thought there was some original plan by Microsoft.

And to think Warren buffet handed him over about 40 billion for his continuing work?

Wow. This Billy Boy maybe a genius alright. He learned how to pull off one of the richest legal and working scams of all time. Legal in that it's still out there. Illegally how it arrived. Whatta you gonna do. God Bless America.
                  SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                    NOT an online superstore
                    • Oct 2005

Pirates of Silicon Valley's like my favorite made-for-TV movie ever

I'm probably one of few people who actually enjoyed that movie and owns it on DVD.
                    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                    My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2007

I'm getting it 4 sure. Material like that always gets my attention. Plus I'll learn more about the birth and rise of the internet and anything else it covers. Thnx 4 recommending it guys.
                      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

Menlo park xerox

half of the leading computer technology genius

mouse windows internet

jobs paid a visit, the head woman called new york, they said sure show him everything, we're never going to use any of that stuff

they had the world in their hands and gave it away

since steve borrowed it he can't say bill stole it since it never was his to start with

Comment

Working...