X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Blog: BD/HD on PCs - Why it's not taking off

Yet another blog entry from me about high def DVDs. It's about why people aren't using them on PCs right now, and what it will take for me to take the plunge. In summary:

* Not enough dual format drives
    * Most hardware are BD/HD writer drives, which are too expensive and not needed at the moment, not to mention the expensive media too - there should be more reader only drives
    * A BD/HD dual format reader drive, with DVD writer functionalities, under $100/$150 - if something like this was available right now, I'll buy one right away (or at least one for my next PC)

Last edited by admin; 2 Jul 2007, 06:04 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • ed klein
    Banned
    • Mar 2004

Yes, after all is said and done it really funnels down to the TOTAL COST of HD DVD's and all of the hardware needed from start to finish.

I also believe there is a small amount of concern for the DVD fan, on having to learn ANOTHER learning curve associated with HD DVD building.

And, since I am from the old school, it would be more expensive for me, since I am bias to having a reader and burner on the computer, building the HD DVD on the computer, taking the HD disk after being created upstairs to the HD player and watching the HD movie on a big screen HDTV.

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Hi fellas I'm posting this here as it seems it might be relevant and as my search here and google has not really answered my question directly. Is watching movies on your computer putting a heavier strain on it and decreasing its lifespan in the long run? Is it really even today wise to use the computer frequently to watch movies, or better to watch them on your tv and keep all the strain and wear n tear if any off your computer and its hardware, thus making it maybe last longer and not create any issues that may arrive from constantly using it this way? Preferences I understand completely, but mainly concerned w/the overall effects watching movies on our computers will and can eventually lead to. Thnx.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Watching movies is just like any other task your computer does, some CPU usage, video card usage, and obviously usage of the monitor and sound system. Watching Blu-ray is slightly more taxing than watching a DVD, but nothing that a modern computer can't handle.

The main problem with watching movies on your computer is that it's not as comfortable as watching on a larger TV in the lounge room, for example. Obviously you can connect your computer to your TV and watch it that way, but computers are generally noisy than your average piece of standalone equipment, unless you've put effort into building a home theatre PC.

I actually think if you can get past the deficiencies such as noise and lack of comfort, then using a computer to play movies is better. Since if the drive in your computer dies from overuse, you can always buy a new one. With a standalone, you'll pretty much have to junk it, although you probably paid less for it to begin with.
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• NightTran
          King of Digital Video
          King of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

I connect my computer to 42" TV as my computer screen, never want to go back to the little one, all my movie I watch from this computer too ( this is not a new comp old Dell), I think watch from file or iso is better and not noisy compare to watching from DVD
          sigpic

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

Thnx for a direct reply. All I was getting in searches was ways of making your computer better for games and how to upgrade it. Which definitely is obvious if you want more power, and ram to do more things like games, adding additional hardware etc...

If either the hard drive or standalone goes dead they both would have to be junked. Although the difference would be that I could get another hd from same manufacturer if it's still under warranty, or even one similar or w/more storage at lower price as they're so much cheaper nowadays. The standalone might or might not be cheaper depending on what make and model, but chances of getting a similar one might be lower I think.

Connecting to a TV is definitely an option, but only difference I see is size of monitor, and my ability to choose whatever I want from any files stored on my drive, which is exactly one of the reasons I ordered a new 1tb drive. Although I guess if I wanted to go online or perform another task on my computer I'd be able to since it's already on correct? Haven't gone that route so not sure.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• ed klein
              Banned
              • Mar 2004

If you want more performance for your computer, such things are keeping the resources as high as possible, faster cpu like 3.16 and up, more ram, sata type hardware devices over IDE type hardware devices.

No un-necessary start-up items, one thing open at a time.

Hi def basically depends on two routes you can go, a hi def software player DVD fan or a hi def hardware player fan.

There are pros and cons for both.

software hi def player fan:
              1. Plays the hi def movie with a software program on your computer.
              2. Has hi def movie stored on hard drives on your computer
              3. Requires a hi end graphics card
              4. Usually a hi end computer monitor with HDMI or possible a HDTV

hardware hi def player fan:
              1. All hi def movies are stored on blank media BD-5, BD-9, BD-R, BD-RE
              2. A Blu-ray hardware player is used to connected thru HDMI to your HDTV.

Hi def software players make it mandatory to play the hi def movie thru an ISO image and can not play from the hard drive anymore.

The MPAA has made it extremely difficult for hi def software players manufactures to get license unless they do what the MPAA wants them to do. Like keeping a hi def fan from playing movie on your computer. From my viewpoint way too many problems with software hi def players which are basically controlled by the MPAA and other special interest groups.

Hi def software player manufactures are biased towards keeping their license so they say yes to the MPAA and special interest groups, leaving the software hi def software player fan, saying we don't care what you want.

Last edited by ed klein; 19 Dec 2008, 03:30 AM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

Hi ed. Did you mean they don't let you play from your optical disc drive when you alluded to this>Hi def software players make it mandatory to play the hi def movie thru an ISO image and can not play from the hard drive anymore. ISO's are on the hard drive.

Also I don't have a hi-def/blu-ray rom or burner so I wouldn't know about not being able to play a movie from a disc in my burner. I did however download 2 of admin's trailers from his site and they both played w/vlc. That of course was on my hdd. I'm able to play hi-def like that only because I don't have the optical disc to read/burn a hi-def/Blu-ray disc.

So even players like vlc are prohibited from playing a hi-def/Blu-ray disc from the odd?

Doesn't make sense about just allowing a hi-def software player to just be able to play ISO's from their computer as there's virtually dozens of ways to get them on there. So what's their point in doing this? Personally I think it opens the door to more ways of sticking it to the MPAA by circumventing these restrictions.

The other route via the hardware hi-def player fan just has one difference which is the Blu-ray player or w/e you choose like a upconvert. You need a HDTV which if you use software on your pc you can also connect your computer to a HDTV to watch that ISO. That really don't make too much sense other than right now there aren't any Blu-ray players or any other standalones capable of storing as much video files as a hd w/crazy storage space, so that there is the only reason I would hook up to a HDTV to watch a flic. That and if I decide to go online while watching the movie.

As soon as you guys here of a standalone capable of holding at least 250gb or more of video files to just pick and watch to your set please post it asap. I know Western Digital has something like that out now but don't know exactly the whole specs or what it actually does.

Right now I'm concentrating on learning some of the more familiar programs most of you guys use, and debating whether to use some at all, or at least just once in a while as I see no real big need for some, as other programs, or methods or w/e are suffice for my wants and needs pertaining to digital video right now.

Next definite move is a HDTV which I positively don't see any way around that simply because of digital being standard soon here, and of course the available formats now and unforeseeable ones to come soon.

Blu-ray discs and hardware coming down already. I think BD blanks going for around $2.00 or so, and a player for about $150.00 or more. looks like they're seeing how slow it's taking, and realize only way to pump it is through lowering their prices.
                Last edited by dr_ml422; 3 Oct 2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Working...