• admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Analyst claims BD+ is impenetrable for ten years, hackers chuckle

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I'm just waiting for Blu-Ray discs to become cheaper (and the drives)... using a BD-R for backup would be awsome, don't those hold like 25GB?
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Dan
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Dec 2005

Yup, 25GB single layer, 50GB dual layer. My first PIII had a 20GB HDD and it was huge! LOL!

Be a long time before I make the jump. Still trying to understand the way those things burn.

The large NA (numerical aperture) value effectively means that Blu-ray will require less recording power and lower disc rotation speed than DVD and HD-DVD to achieve the same data transfer rate.
      Last edited by Dan; 12 Jul 2007, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• Gary D
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2005

I think someone at Doom9 said it best:

"If it can be watched (on a computer), it can be hacked!"

Look at modifications they did to their game machines to get the codes. It sounds like an over optimistic CEO who has his blinders on to the truth.
        Gary D

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

We can always record it to a standard DVD and rip that... LOL

(my DVD recorder is awesome... when it says "no copying copyrighted materials", you just STOP the VHS or DVD or whatever, start recording then start your other thing and it records just fine)
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

BD+ allows code to be executed on the player using a virtual machines, which can do anything from preventing playback to reducing quality of the audio/video output. It will mainly be used to detect if your machine has been hacked or not ... hacking a machine to get rid of the HDCP playback restrictions (eg. if your TV has DVI that does not support HDCP), and getting rid of region control (which only Blu-ray players have, HD DVD players are region-free for the moment). The effects will only be temporary (it doesn't write to the firmware, or at least I hope it doesn't), so once you remove the BD+ protected disc, any effects will be gone.

What I'm concerned about is this code execution, how secure is it? Can *any* code (written in the language that is understood by BD+) be executed, even malicious code that might do temporary/permanent damage to your equipment? Couple this with Blu-ray players that can connect to the Internet - could BD+ code be executed from the Internet, and does the BD+ code have the ability to access the Internet (can Blu-ray players turn into zombies to attack websites)? It's a lot of security concerns ...

Plus, since the Blu-ray standard was not finalized and BD+ was only introduced recently, what does this mean for the early Blu-ray players? Will they support BD+, do so after a firmware update, or will a new player be needed?
            Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• NightTran
              King of Digital Video
              King of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

10 years or ten months ? when pp say out loud just make the Hackers more mad and make it work even faster
              sigpic

Comment

• soup
                Just Trying To Help
                • Nov 2005

If humans thought it up, humans can tear it down.

Comment

Working...