X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

High-def horror story

At the annual home video convention here this week, the Entertainment Merchants Assn., corralled a group of home entertainment “power users” to discuss their media acquisition habits. One woman who had recently purchased an HDTV set said she was interested in playing high-def movies on it and was thinking of getting a high-def disc player. When asked whether she would buy a Blu-ray Disc or HD DVD player she noted that she’d have to buy HD DVD because it was an “HD TV set” not a “Blu-ray TV.”
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • sweetrmarie
    • Mar 2006

No comment
    Last edited by sweetrmarie; 21 Jul 2007, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• Gary D
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

My parents in their 70s and 80s would probably think the same way.

Yes, the education of consumers is a constant battle. But do you expect to be told what the difference is at an electronic store??

When stores like Circuit City and Best Buy and Future Shop have 17 year old kids selling their products, what does the consumer get? LOUSY SERVICE!

The best advice I tell people is to go to their local library and look at Consumer Reports before buying anything electronic. (Consumer Reports is a non-profit agency who does testing BUT does not accept money from manufacturers.) Sometimes, the cheapest is the best!

My biggest worry about Blu-Ray VS HD is one will become obsolete like Beta did in the home half inch format. And I hope it does not become like DVD+R vs DVD-R where 2 co-exist.
      Gary D

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

I don't think one will go obsolete, and unfortunately both formats are "needed" at the moment because some studios have chosen to go exclusive on one format. If you choose Blu-ray, you can't watch any Universal/Dimension/PolyGram/Weinstein movies, similar if you choose HD DVD, you can't watch any Fox/Disney/Columbia/MGM ones.

I think it will be the case of co-existance, although there is always the possibility that the two formats will merge and form a single new format (one can dream...). The good news is that, unlike Beta/VHS, from a technological point of view, it's now much easier to make a "universal" player/recorder that supports every format - hopefully, you won't have to make any decisions as to which format you want to support.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

although there is always the possibility that the two formats will merge and form a single new format (one can dream...).
          it's about time governments stepped in and stopped this nonsense

early railroads used different guage tracks until forced to standardize

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by Chewy
            it's about time governments stepped in and stopped this nonsense

early railroads used different guage tracks until forced to standardize
            That makes sense. Chewy for President!

Comment

• NightTran
              King of Digital Video
              King of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

not really the Gov still div. to two parties, burgers still have MC donals and burgerking, pizza are many to say they could be a third one inteed of BR and HD
              computer with adm and intell ? without compete there will not be cheap
              sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

the whole idea of sony or toshiba inventing and patenting a new highdef "dvd" standard is absurd and wasteful as proven by prices and confusion today

Comment

• toomanycats
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Apr 2005

Chewy is right. They should be "trained". On the other hand has anyone figured out if a billion is a million millions or is it a thousand million (milliard?) The standard should not be left to the manufacturers as they have proven they cannot come together for such things. I wonder if her TV was even HDCP compliant?

Comment

Working...