X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Kiss goodbye to your DRM-protected Google Video clips

Closure of service leaves a cloud over the future of copy-protected video files and leaves users with (paid for but) unplayable content
    Closure of service leaves a cloud over the future of copy-protected video files and leaves users with unplayable content. Charles Arthur reports.

Welcome to the wonderful world of DRM ...
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Since when has Google used DRM? I thought they used AVI files with a .gvi extension.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

They used to sell videos through Google Video (eg. CSI episodes), and these had DRM. But now that they have closed their video selling services, people who have bought these videos will no longer be able to play them, since the DRM will expire. Google is providing compensation though.

This is the danger of DRM ... at any time, the company issuing the license can withdraw it and you're stuck with useless files or discs. Remember DIVX (not the codec, the Circuit City proprietary "dial-home" DVD disc format that required you to pay for each time you play the movie - sort of like a home rental system) - all those people who bought discs were left with unplayable discs when the format died, because it could no longer "dial-home" to ask for payment and authenticate playback.
      Last edited by admin; 18 Aug 2007, 02:49 PM.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Those people could always use FairUse4WM or whatever it is... I use a similar program on my purchased music.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...