X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Midway's Bilder Talks Xbox 360 To PS3 Conversion Issues

Midway Chicago studio head Mike Bilder has been discussing next-gen conversion issues on the company's Stranglehold as part of an in-depth Gamasutra interview, noting that it was "a more difficult endeavor" to overcome memory and processor challenges on the PlayStation 3 than on the Xbox 360 or PC.

-- snip --

( Bilder: ) "Just, to be honest, the hardware differences in memory and processor on the PS3 vs. traditional PC and 360, it makes it a challenge, and it's representative. Everybody's having a challenge in the industry right now."

-- snip --

( Bilder: ) "The difficulty you run into there, at least in the last generation, was that the Xbox was considerably more powerful than the PS2, and you found that people didn't always take advantage of the hardware. Whereas with the PS3 and the 360, it's certainly more of a level playing field, so I don't think it's necessarily a negative to put the PS3 first [as the lead development platform]. But it does help mitigate some of that risk in framerate, memory, technology, just the hardware differences."
    Last edited by admin; 1 Nov 2007, 03:02 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

The same story has been "spun" as this:

Midway developer endorses PS3 as lead platform

So from saying that the PS3 is causing development problems and the solution might be to develop first on the PS3 to solve these problems first, it turns into an "endorsement" of the PS3?

Well I guess developing first on the PS3 is a solution (develop for the most problematic or the weakest system first, since the other systems won't suffer from the same problems - the "lowest common denominator" approach), or for smaller developers, not developing the PS3 version might make even more financial sense.
    Last edited by admin; 1 Nov 2007, 06:38 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...