X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

RIAA Goes After "Personal Use" Doctrine

No longer content to sue MP3-downloading students, now the industry is targeting customers who rip purchased CDs to their computers.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Personally, I'd like to see the RIAA executives brought up on extortion and racketeering charges and imprisoned for their actions, but I guess that's just wishful thinking, given that our legal system favors the corporation over the citizenry and the public good.
    John sounds pretty mad

Comment

• rago88
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Aug 2005

Another angle........

Okay, so we've done some digging into the RIAA's lawsuit against Jeffery Howell, in which the industry is claiming that ripped MP3s are "unauthorized copies," and it turns out that Jeffery isn't actually being sued for ripping CDs, like the Washington Post and several other sources have reported, but for plain old illegal downloading. As we're all unfortunately aware, that's pretty standard stuff; the big change from previous downloading cases is the RIAA's newfound aggressiveness in calling MP3s ripped from legally owned CDs "unauthorized copies" -- something it's been doing quietly for a while, but now it looks like the gloves are off. While there's a pretty good argument for the legality of ripping under the market factor of fair use, it's never actually been ruled as such by a judge -- so paradoxically, the RIAA might be shooting itself in the foot here, because a judge wouldn't ever rule on it unless they argue that it's illegal. Looks like someone may end up being too clever for their own good, eh?

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

How can they possibly sue someone for ripping CDs?

Is that not what iTunes and Zune software etc. do legally? I rip as mp3 and then put on my Zune... but if they're going after people like me, how do Apple and Microsoft stand a chance? Surely we can't be asked to re-buy all our songs from the store... I'd be broke if I did that!
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...