Wal Mart Goes Blu Ray, Toshiba calling it quits?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Still awaiting confirmation from Toshiba on this, everything is still just a rehash of the same NHK report. The only report that I've seen which is different and contains a quote from a Toshiba spokesman (although don't know if the quotes are recent or not) is this one:

Keisuke Oomori, a spokesman for Toshiba said, "Sales have been hurt since Warner's decision, and we are considering different options," though he said that nothing has been decided at this point.
    Also, the AP report has either changed, because what's written there now seems less certain about Toshiba's decision:

Japanese electronics maker Toshiba might withdraw its HD DVD next-generation video format, Kyodo News agency reported Saturday.

The report cited unidentified individuals from the industry as saying Toshiba Corp. is reviewing its operations, with the timing of the withdrawal to be decided later, depending on U.S. demand for its HD DVD products and other factors.

Calls went unanswered at Toshiba Corp.'s Tokyo office, which was closed for the weekend.
    I wish Toshiba would just make a statement either way, because things are getting ridiculous...
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Woohoo, something official from Toshiba (I think):

Toshiba is reviewing whether or not it will continue the HD DVD format, the company said Monday morning in a public statement. The Japanese electronics firm neither confirmed nor denied claims by national broadcaster NHK that it would halt HD DVD production outright but has admitted that it is reconsidering its position on the HD movie disc standard. The comment is the first public acknowledgement by Toshiba that it may need to discontinue the format after a succession of key studio and retail losses.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Microsoft responds to HD DVD speculation

Microsoft has released a statement following the press speculation revolving around the potential demise of Toshiba's HD DVD format.

Speaking to tech blog Engadget the company claimed that the move wouldn't have "any material impact on the Xbox 360 platform or our position in the marketplace," stating instead its belief that "it is games that sell consoles."

The statement went on to say that it would "wait until we hear from Toshiba before announcing any specific plans around the Xbox 360 HD DVD player."

Comment

• BR7
          He is coming to your little town!
          • Aug 2005

According to digital bits Toshiba is supposed to announce (Tuesday 5 PM Tokyo time) that they're quitting the HD-DVD format.

(LATE UPDATE - 2/18/08 - 3:30 PM PST)

Okay... things are moving very fast now. Industry sources are telling us that Toshiba has a press event scheduled for tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday 5 PM Tokyo time), at which they're expected to make the announcement that they're quitting the HD-DVD format. That's just 8 1/2 hours from now. Rumor is that hardware and software sales will be discontinued in early March, but we expect official details soon. We'll post more on this as it comes in.
          Also, we haven't confirmed this with the studio yet, but it seems likely: Format War Central is reporting that a Technicolor insider has informed them that work has stopped on CBS and Paramount's Star Trek: The Original Series Remastered - Season Two HD-DVD release. They're saying that Toshiba was financing the production as part of an exclusive arrangement to have the title on HD-DVD only, and they've now pulled the plug.
          Link

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

Continue the discussion here:

Comment

Working...