• Aug 2005

Comcast offers 50Mbps Broadband...

A tad exspensive???

• cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

50Mbps down, 5Mbps up
    And that for $149.95 per month.

I pay $33 per month for 100Mbps full duplex.

Seems not everything is better over there.

Comment

• rago88
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Aug 2005

As an American for 50 some yrs,
      I can say that ever since the Sept 11th World trade Center bombing and the introduction of everything under the sun having to be politically correct and also the mindset of "protect the children from getting hurt playing tag, dodge ball, and any contact games in the school yard and not teaching them to live with dissapointement, a skinned knee without suing the school or failure once in a while,[it's called "no children left behind in school" which basically means if your child is a moron he get's to pass into the next grade or if he is a cluts in sports he can't be cut from the team,
      We Americans are loosing a little bit of everything each and every day.
      Freedom being the biggest problem and the ability to raise children to be responsible adults being another of many losses.
      Too Many restrictions as parents as well as citizens here in good ole USA.

[Iknow it's a technology forum but have to vent sometimes..

Comment

• katzdvd
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Feb 2006

Meh...They can keep it. I'm paying $65.00 for approx. 10kbps...way too much, IMHO. Unfortunately, that is my only option where I live.
        Last edited by katzdvd; 4 Apr 2008, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• BR7
          He is coming to your little town!
          • Aug 2005

We Americans are loosing a little bit of everything each and every day.
          I couldn't agree MORE.Greed is the root of it all .Money has taken priority over people and whats right(Those poor people in New Orleans are the PREFECT example)

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

You're all very lucky!

$US 127 per month for 8Mbps down, 512 Kbps up, 40 GB download limit
            Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
              It Was The Dog, I Swear!
              • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by cynthia

Oh c'mon, you've got to be kidding me. That can't be right. Sounds like the right price for 100 Kilobits per second to me.
              My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                • Nov 2003

"Comcast offers 50Mbps (download) Broadband for $149.95 per month" Sounds pretty good to me. I'm paying Comcast $50 a month and I only get 2.2 to 2.8Mbps.(download) About 2443 Kbps (?) Of course, it would be interesting to see someone take that offer and then see what they really get. When I signed up, I was supposed to get 6Mbps but I'm lucky to get 2.2Mbps.
                Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 11 Apr 2008, 05:33 PM.
                My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• blutach
                  Not a god of digital video
                  • Oct 2004

I've got a reasonably decent plan. 12Gb before shaping (which I never use), unlimited speed down (consistently measures around 8Mb) and about 512k up (though it has measured faster). Costs around US$60 pm including GST ($54.50 excluding tax). I'm sure there's worse around.

Regards
                  Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                  [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• jmet
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2002

Originally Posted by cynthia
                    And that for $149.95 per month.

Yea well, we get DVDs released over here before you all! lol

FYI: I am still on 255K down and 128 up and pay a absurd $59 a month. Its either that or dial up. They do offer 1.5 down and 512k up but, its $149 a month.

Comment

• cynthia
                      Super Moderatress
                      • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by DrinkOrDie
                      Oh c'mon, you've got to be kidding me. That can't be right. Sounds like the right price for 100 Kilobits per second to me.
                      The issue in Sweden is the high competition among suppliers. The one that is cheapest gets the most customers. The limit on only being able to download x Gb/month, has not existed here for years.

The same phenomena can be seen in the mobile connections.
                      Through the 3G-net you can get a speed up to 3,6 Mbit/s. (Normally you end up in ca 1–1,5 Mbit/s downstreams - due to the range to the closest sender.) No limit on how much you download.
                      The price? $28/month.

Last edited by cynthia; 12 Apr 2008, 02:45 AM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2007

Well I'm just waiting for verizon fios to reach my part of the city. Time Warner's roadrunner is also there w/comcast as far as highway robbery and customer service from what I've heard many times over. Being hi-def is coming real soooooon I expect a pretty decent price for at least fios internet service and maybe even the triple play. Time will tell.
                        SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...