X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Microsoft warns about Windows anti-piracy checks

The updated version of the WGA program will include a persistent desktop notice where the users' desktop backgrounds will change to black every 60 minutes.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

All you'd have to do is disconnect your computer from the Internet.

Or just set your firewall to block all data from Microsoft.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• PurpleDemon
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Mar 2006

Or go legit?

It's been awhile since a clean install, but I thought you had to activate within 30 days starting with SP2.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Mine IS legit, I'm just saying.

I know people who use an XP CD for their main computer and activate it, then use it on a computer not connected to the Internet (like, for watching movies or something) and somehow avoid activation.

I think it's always been 30 days... my CD only comes with SP1 and it's 30 days there too. But once it's activated, it's not like it's gonna un-activate itself.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• PurpleDemon
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Mar 2006

I guess we both have the safe way.

I just feel bad for the companies and organizations that thought they got legit, but got counterfeit as in the article.

It would be nice to have one day's Microsoft revenue. I could retire in style.

@DRF
          I apologize if you thought I was implying non legit on your part. I just was making a point that if you have a legit copy that you will not have these worries.

Comment

• soup
            Just Trying To Help
            • Nov 2005

I haven't recd any checks, most of my stuff is direct deposited now anyway. @drf, you really think you could block Microsoft?

Comment

• drfsupercenter
              NOT an online superstore
              • Oct 2005

Yes I'm sure you can.

I'm not endorsing piracy, but you notice how every program that comes out is cracked within a day or two? Even Vista was back when it was in pre-release stage. I'm positive you can make a program that'll make Microsoft think your computer's either legit or not connected to the Internet, but it really is.

Either way, my XP Pro is legit, I actually have a second key which has never been used should I need it. I just think Microsoft's plan will fail as most people have likely figured out a way around activation as it is.
              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
              Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• emocutter
                • Jul 2010

win 7

been running a self cracked vers of win 7 since launch now no probs Microsoft isn't as good as you give them cred for, it was easy as pie i never have, nor will i ever, pay for any software.I pirate all, and will till the death of the internet or myself.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

You can legally get 120 days out of the evaluation using this tutorial:

How to Extend Vista Trial Period for Up to 120 Days Vista gives you a 30 day trial period before you have to activate Vista or pay for a product key number. This will show you how to extend the trial period 30 days at a time for up to 3 times for a total of 120 days before you must either...

Can come in handy for stuff like if you're not sure if a PC will take the install. You can put the OS on with no product key and try it out to make sure you fixed some problem or whatever, before going to the trouble of activating. Once you know the machine is going to stay fixed then you can activate.

Comment

• PurpleDemon
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Mar 2006

I forgot about that. Thanks Miles.

HERE are the instructions to do the same with Windows 7

Comment

Working...