X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

EFF: Apple DisplayPort DRM will lead to more piracy

When Apple released its new MacBook and MacBook Pro models, as well as updated MacBook Air models, one feature of those latest laptops touted by Apple was their Mini DisplayPort video connection. This new connector is part of an open standard and is smaller than the DVI, mini-DVI, and micro-DVI ports found on the previous generation of Apple laptops. But there's one feature of the Mini DisplayPort on Apple laptops that isn't sitting well with many users—High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).

-- snip --

And because purchased content on the iTunes Store—protected by Apple's FairPlay DRM—is HDCP-enabled, owners of new MacBooks are finding they can no longer play the TV shows and movies they've legally purchased from Apple on many external displays.
    HDCP protection built into iTunes purchased content keeps those using new Apple laptops from being able to play content on many external displays.

Much ado about nothing really. PC (and home theatre) folks have been dealing with HDCP for years, and while it's a pain to make sure devices on both ends support it, once you do, you can really just forget about it.
    Last edited by admin; 30 Nov 2008, 04:34 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

That's why BYOS is so much better than buying premade...
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...