X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Do surge protectors work?

Can you really protect your new plasma from getting zapped by a surge in the power supply?

After a night of brownouts, I've just purchased a Belkin surge protector with battery backup. Sometimes these thing come with protected equipment warranties ($50,000 in Belkin's case), but I guess it could be a nightmare to actually try to claim this.

UPS's are good if you do any serious work on your PC and don't want to lose data in case of a brown/black out (plus it may prevent damage). Although with this said, I've never used one before.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • ed klein
    Banned
    • Mar 2004

Surge protectors work VERY WELL if set-up properly.

Get a good brand, and set the protector up for the proper voltage.

When lighting hit my old house it save me over $2000. Great protection for all electronics gear. And not just power surges from the electric company or telephone company.

Comment

• soup
      Just Trying To Help
      • Nov 2005

I have everything electronic plugged into surge protectors, plus I had a device installed on the main control panel that protects the whole house. Only cost me a couple of hundred bucks when we bought the place just over a year ago. Didn't want the

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

As already stated buy a well known brand. The electric company here in IL is the worst, if the wind blows a little to hard the power will go out. A nice sunny day the power will go out. Durring the summer the brown outs are extremely bad. I have had several items burn up due to brown outs. I have all my computers on UPS with automatic voltage regulation. Since then I have not had any computer problems. I also have my Hitachi big screen also plugged into a UPS. No more blown up TV. But I made the electric company pay for the repair bill on the Hitchi big screen. I fixed the TV my self and sumitted a bill that a friend made up.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...