X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

The Blockbuster Set-top Box Has Arrived

Movie rental maven Blockbuster has officially entered the set-top box arena. Its offering, MediaPoint, will go head-to-head with other online DVD rental services that have inked deals with hardware partners.
    Blockbuster has officially entered the "battle of the boxes" with the launch of its new set-top box yesterday. The box will serve movies to TVs over the Internet and is going against Netflix's set-top box solutions (Xbox, Roku, and Tivo). Blockbuster's MediaPoint box allows users to watch thousan...

A competitor to Netflix, but offering much less movies. Still, it's interesting how quickly these hardware movie streaming boxes are being rolled out, but they are not really a threat to Blu-ray yet (other than in general terms) until they offer HD streaming.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Very interesting as Voodo launched theirs also. I think that's their name. It's not a threat to Blu-ray and it shouldn't as Blu-ray has yet to corner the whole market video wise anyway. It's another alternative for those that aren't w/Blu-ray yet to watch some decent flicks at an affordable price. On that note I find it very interesting that all these Mega Giants are coming out w/their own version of a set-top box now that Verizon is finally entering hdtv through their service along w/Fios and digital telephone. It might be just a coincidence or it might hold true as Time Warner has drastically upped their advertising campaign now that Fios is breaking up the streets and installing true fiber optics. I can't wait. As soon as Fios hits my area I'm dropping Time Warner and adding 2 boxes of Fios TV and maybe their internet service as well. I'm almost certain they'll have a movie set-top option as well. They already have a lil something w/their DSl.

By 2012 they'll be so many new avenues to take regarding HD that Sony's going to have to come to some serious decisions regarding their whole Blu-ray campaign.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Interestingly, the discussion in the other new Blu-ray thread about BD-Live could come into play here. BD-Live can easily be configured to become a video download/streaming service, so Blu-ray and downloads can co-exist together. Today's Blu-ray players, the PS3 apart, probably isn't fast enough or has insufficient storage to make this work.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...