X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

If advance TV ever gets here. I want to get it, it will allow you to record 3 programs while you watch 1. I can't wait then internet speeds will also go up. I wish AT&T would hurry up and get the fiber installed.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Don't you wonder why you're getting those free local hd channels and the FCC approved it? Compensation for lack of quality. It'll change hopefully when you get real digital pumped through your cable.
      Um? What I get is identical to what's going over the air via ATSC. FOX and ABC are 720p, NBC and CBS are 1080i. There IS no 1080p version of local channels. They can say it's "pure HD", but it's all lies. This is also why I don't like DVRs... if you hit "info", everything will show as 1080p. Even if it's 480i.

I dunno what my friends' cable was using. But the point also, is that they have a large amount of DRM on stuff. You can't record some premium channels, and others can only be stored for so long. If I put something on DVD, it's mine forever. Watching stuff on your DVR is fine, but what if you want to get it off your DVR? You're gonna have to record it to DVD anyway, so why not just start with DVD?
      Plus, the shows only stay on there as long as you're paying for the DVR. If you ever decide to switch cable providers, good luck with that.

I'm not saying I don't see the point of a DVR, I'm just saying I don't see the point on relying on one. I've been manually scheduling my recordings for years, and I'm happy doing it.
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• BR7
        He is coming to your little town!
        • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by doctorhardware
        If advance TV ever gets here. I want to get it, it will allow you to record 3 programs while you watch 1. I can't wait then internet speeds will also go up. I wish AT&T would hurry up and get the fiber installed.
        That would be nice.Right now I can record 1 while I watch 1,or I can record 2 and choose which one to watch.I can also watch one on the DVR while the other two are recording

Originally Posted by rago88
        I pretty much dvr all the shows on network I watch so as to skip thru commercials..
        that said I also dvr most of the Shotime shows like weeds, dexter, brotherhood etc and 1 hbo show which is true blood.

the HD playback is exactly the same as if I watched the live broadcast..
        Excellent HD picture via Panny plasma and clear 5.1 audio..
        Comcast........
        I am getting that same quality with Dish Network.I am guessing there is poor service in the Detroit area
        Last edited by BR7; 15 Jan 2009, 01:56 PM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Either that or you have better DVRs.

I think the ones here are Scientific Atlanta. Cheapie ones, too.

If I *were* to get a DVR, I would look for a first-gen TiVo... so it's not tied to my ISP and there's no DRM.

As far as watching one show while recording another... I can do that too. I have a splitter attached to my cable, so one goes to the DVD recorder, one goes to the VCR, and one goes to the TV. I can record two shows on two different medias and watch a third one on the TV.
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

@ BR7 yes Fios is the bomb. I don't have it yet, but those that do will tell you straight off the back how much faster and clearer it is. It's pure fiber optics. Glass crystals in the ground. Very hi tech and delicate process so has to be installed w/great care. 1 lil crack and you'll see the difference in your service.

@ drf Every station in every city is different. Those numbers you posted for those networks might be for your area and not mine. Those signals have nothing to do w/how they're delivered. If 1080p was delivered via a inferior service then even that will show on the set. Yes DVDs are fine, but when you get close to the 1000 mark like me and others the new storage and retrieval methods are the way to go. Right now I just backed up about 800 gigs of video on my 1000 wd hd. No more cases and envelopes. From now on if I want to watch something I'll either transfer it to my other pc and do it from there, or burn a throwaway and put it in my computer or stand alone.

Looking ahead and learning from others' mistakes is wisdom at its best. My friend who stopped DJing a while back didn't hop on the cd mixing and recording and now is stuck w/about 10,000 LP's in Manhattan Mini Storage. $100 monthly. Useless money down the drain. That isn't happening w/me concerning anything if I could help it.
            SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• BR7
              He is coming to your little town!
              • Aug 2005

Yes DVDs are fine, but when you get close to the 1000 mark like me and others the new storage and retrieval methods are the way to go.
              I like that method for TV shows,but I do not like it for Blu-ray or DVDs.My days of backing up movies or using any kind of DL is over(unless I want to put it on Zune for travel).Storage isn't a problem for me,I am one of those who likes to display my movies I really love Blu-ray's protective coating,it does not scratch as easy as DVDs, and if you do get a scuff all you have to is rub it out with a very soft cloth(no liquid needed) you will never know it was there,it will look brand new.I am not worried about my BR movies not playing.

I really like Dish Networks new receiver " ViP 922" it will come with sling box technology.

New 1 Terabyte High Definition DVR with Integrated Slingbox, Touchpad Remote Control and Tile-based User Interface

“DISH Network is pleased to add another award-winning product to our suite of MPEG-4 HD DVR ViP receivers: a groundbreaking set top box that offers consumers the true experience of TV everywhere,” said DISH Network Chairman, CEO and President Charlie Ergen. “By integrating Sling Media’s Slingbox technology into our industry-leading HD DVR, DISH Network is providing even more ways for our subscribers to view their TV programming – through their television sets, their desktops at home, their laptops on the road, and their smartphones including Blackberrys, iPhones and more.”

The ViP® 922 allows TV enthusiasts to watch and control their favorite TV shows and sporting events from anywhere in the world via a broadband Internet connection on their laptop or mobile phone. With five video sources, including satellite, broadband and optional over-the-air tuners, viewers will never run out of shows to watch. The ViP® 922 also features a multi-tuner DVR with up to 1,000 hours of recording time and supports connecting external hard drives for even more storage capacity.

An innovative touchpad remote control accompanies the ViP® 922, which eliminates half the buttons of a standard remote control and provides cursor-like navigation on a TV screen. With a slide of the thumb, viewers experience scroll-over activation of the new user interface: on-screen widget-like tiles and pop-up menus. All features are selectable by an underside index finger trigger selection on the radio frequency-controlled remote, which offers two-way learning of codes from other AV equipment remote controls.

The ViP® 922 can also be controlled using SlingGuide™, a new way for consumers to control their TV viewing experience over the Internet. SlingGuide features a powerful search engine for the TV along with the ability to schedule the ViP® 922 DVR timers remotely.

Other ViP® 922 features include:
              • News feeds located on the home screen, giving viewers instant access to national news, weather, sports, and stock quotes.
              • Ability to organize channels by channel name or number.
              • 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480i and 480p support.
              • Internet-delivered DISH On Demand including 1080p content.
              • Ability to move one day in the guide while browsing full screen EPG or partial EPG.
              • Connections to home networks via Ethernet, HomePlug Turbo (the next generation of HomePlug that allows for faster in-home transfer of content using home power lines), or WiFi (with optional WiFi adapter).
              • Powerful search capability across all available video sources, including IP, VOD, satellite or DVR.
              • Intuitive timer creation and DVR management, allowing users to categorize programming by groups (video source, title, genres) or by content description (date, length, ratings and more).
              • Ability to load photos, MP3s and selected Internet content.
              • Future upgrades such as photo sharing, movie ticket purchases, family calendars, instant messaging, streaming audio, and the ability to transfer content within a home network.
              Link to source
              Last edited by BR7; 16 Jan 2009, 03:14 AM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

Great article. This is what I'm aiming to keep a eye on for when the time comes to make a decision concerning any method I choose down the line. Have to get all the info on options available in my area as well.
                SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...