X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

You go Abuilder. F@#k Time Warner. Hope Verizon puts them out. Heard rumors they might be talking selling. How true I don't know. What I do know is they're a bunch of crooks. Worse service from any other service I've had here in New York. Thing is they don't get paid squat so they don't care. Otn, I haven't even contemplated getting my hookup. I'll make a decision when Fios gets here. I might just use my PC to watch TV. Most of the channels you could view for free. I didn't know this. Still new to this part of the digital and PC world. My friend saw me watching a flic on my Dell and he was surprised how nice it was. I told him that's the Dell, you should see how it looks on my build.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Heh, yeah, I feel sorry for people who only have TWC in their area. I'm really glad we have WOW up here... because it sure beats Comcrap and they have some pretty good stuff.

Our antennas aren't that good... I think we just get the basic FOX, NBC, ABC, CW, CBS, and MyTV networks (And PBS). The only subchannels are like THIS network (movies?) on NBC and Retro TV Networks and a weather station from ABC. PBS also has a "PBS2" that isn't in HD but digital.
      There's also ION but they don't count as they suck anyway.

So we don't have quite as many channels as others do. I like cable channels like Game Show Network, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc., but being a tech nerd I have those converter boxes just so I'm in the know-how of the non-cable community.
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Ion changed drastically when it went to ION. I forgot exactly what it was called b4, but it wasn't all that then either. They gave that Medice Doctor show w/Billy Ray Cyrus. Lol...

TWC's a piece of work. They subject you to that NY1 channel which as soon as I put on the set it's programmed to go there. Not bad to just check the weather temp. That's about it. I'm already used to all the killing, robberies, extortion etc... they report daily here.

Tell you the truth it's a blessing in disguise that I'm not bothering w/TV much anymore. Gives me more time to catch up on all this stuff.

Yes I heard about the Game Show Network. My friend told me that's where he 1st learned about Rule 19.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

LOL, what does a TV station have to do with rule 19?

As far as TWC goes... I'm sure that's only if you use their cable boxes... they probably have an analog cable plan where you can just plug the cable right into the TV. That's what I do... we still get the local HD stations (only in QAM instead of ATSC) and we don't have a single cable box in the house. So long, digital rights management!
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

drf do you understand why the move or what the move to DTV is? Those converter boxes are garbage. At least here in New york City. I don't know about WOW tv. As far as some analog plan, why would there be one now w/the transition? The reason the box if you get it is because you'll get better reception than w/a bs converter box and you won't have to get a HDTV for now anyways. The box lets you view the channels otherwise not playable, especially when digital fully kicks in.

As far As Rule 19 and The Game Show Network, they actually showed you how and w/what to do what Rule 19 now doesn't allow here.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
              NOT an online superstore
              • Oct 2005

The move to DTV only affects aerial broadcasts... I'm saying, my cable is analog so each TV uses its own tuner and I don't need a cable box. The cable company converts the local channels to analog automatically. (Though they pan-and-scan them which pisses me off)

The point of those converter boxes is for people with old TVs that don't have digital tuners. We only have one HDTV... the other ones only get those channels because we have cable. And I got the converter boxes so I could see the whole image (since WOW crops them)

Game Show Network actually had a segment on copying DVDs? That's odd... last I checked all they show is vintage game shows...
              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
              Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

I had a black box if you know what I mean. They started scrambling then cutting off the more popular channels 1 by 1. In the end all that I was getting was the basic major networks and I think NGC, although I think they cut that out too. They got really rigid toward the transition date. I don't think TWC has straight cable to TV hook up here, but I'll check by just plugging the cable into the TV. I used to do that b4 and just got basic cable, so there wouldn't be a difference if that's all I got now. However, their so lazy or stupid, that I had cancelled my sub on my set and then went and plugged the cable back into my black box and still had all the channels b4 they started cutting them

Maybe, it'll happen again. I don't know. The set in the living room does have a digital tuner, so it can happen. It'll be risky though because if it doesn't work I'm looking at a new installation fee, unless I can do a work around and suspend it for a month or so.

I prolly got confused w/Game Show Network. Saw the word Game and thought it was the other one. Maybe you know it. It's the cable channel for Gamers. Strictly Gaming and everything that comes w/it. ie: All the goodies to use that Rule 19 forbids. Yes they had a segment on there about sh@#$k and some other popular software.

My friend started w/that when he began copying DVDs. Poor kid, now he has like 2000 discs in spindles. Lol... I woke up n started the hd storage or I would of been there pronto myself.

My black box I think still works for the regular channels. Not sure though. I sold my set, and I'm pretty sure they were going to cut it completely anyway. I don't want 2 sub's to TWC. I did it 4 moms. She's not happy either. Fios taking longer to get to private residencials. There're practically everywhere else. Truth is I'm more interested in their Internet connection. I could watch my shows or w/e from my computer and w/Fios as my ISP the sky's the limit.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                  NOT an online superstore
                  • Oct 2005

That "black box" is probably just a cable box. It contains the codes necessary to decrypt the signal coming from their end, and it's what prevents people "stealing" cable. But with analog, none of that is needed

Maybe you're thinking of G4? That's the one that shows segments on video games, as far as I know...
                  CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                  Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2007

Yes it is G4. They're on cable and online. There's a reason I call it a Black Box. Had it for over 10 yrs. Best investment I ever made.

The new one now for HD is about $500, but I think I'm passing on it. Not 100% sure. I think it needs to be zapped up every now and then, so until they stabilize the process I'll stay put. VOD really needs to step it up and quickly at that. What TWC offers right now is not that great, and repeats like crazy. That's why you get opportunities to come across the alternative solutions. God Bless America.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                      NOT an online superstore
                      • Oct 2005

I don't have G4... I should watch it online or something.

And wait, Black Box as in one of those hacked cable boxes that will get you premium channels without paying extra? I need to look into one of those for myself...

And video on demand... meh. My video on demand is called a huge collection of DVDs and video files I'm lucky to have a library system that can get DVDs from anywhere in the state, as well as a Blockbuster membership... why would I possibly need to watch movies over a cable box when I can just get the DVD? Plus, I've watched "on demand" shows on my friend's Comcrap cable and they still had commercials! I'd rather just record the shows when they air and watch the from my DVD+Rs!
                      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                      Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2007

If you're a good salesman, bsa, or ever thought about becoming a lawyer you'll have no problem. I'll give you a beginner's tip ok. Call your cable company 1 day and tell them you're having trouble w/reception or something in that ball park. They'll send a signal from their end to check if there's anything wrong. There won't be of course, but you tell them there is. They'll send out a tech on a day you pick w/a couple of hours window time. Let the guy come and check all he wants. Play dumb. Initiate some rapport w/him. Then casually and humbly but w/some assertiveness tell him in a form of a ? about the aboveforementioned. Give it your best as if you're auditioning for a Oscar. Throw the economics in of course. Both how you and most feel about the service. Let him know for sure that you'll do the right thing after he divulges the correct info. Bam. Premium cable. Basic cable price. Everyone's

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                          NOT an online superstore
                          • Oct 2005

LOL.

The problem is, now, all the "premium cable" is digital. I did some searching for those cable descramblers and those are only for analog. (Or are they?) Really, our plan is quite good as it's all analog and unencrypted and we get all the locals in HD... as well as some digital ones like Music Choice. All that "digital basic" has is a bunch of stupid/pointless channels and more HD. I just want the HD. I mean, I'd like stuff like Boomerang, FUSE, and whatever, but WideOpenWest doesn't seem to offer those.

But really... what pisses me off is the TV I bought doesn't have a spot for a CableCard. I love those things... it's just a little PCMIA card they stick in your TV and you can get HD/digital channels without using a cable box. The problem is if the TV doesn't have one, there's really no other option (unless I buy one of those TiVos that has CableCard inputs...) I know it's totally possible to do unencrypted QAM using coaxial, they just don't because they're stupid/lazy. I'm trying to find a device where you pay for digital cable legitimately from the company (hey, it's only like $5 more a month... I'm not THAT evil), stick the CableCard they give you in a little dock, and then run a coax cable from the wall to it, and from the dock to your TV. If you get what I'm saying. In theory it's possible (and it would let you use your TV's tuner to get all the special channels), but I've never found anything saying it's been done or any idea of if it's even possible.
                          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                          Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • May 2007

!. You just got the HDTV correct? If so and still under warranty or grace period just go to store or where ever and say you're willing to pay lil xtra for 1 w/the cable card slot, and take the loss on delivery if it gets there.

2. They have them and yes it works as long as you have a sub to your cable company.

3. All the premium channels you will get at Basic Cable price. Capiche. Hence the Black Box. Remember $500. Lol... 1 time fee. All legal. You're paying for Basic, just a lil xtra gravy on the house.

4. Evil is pumping analog to you w/those local HD channels. Paying for it as well.

5. In time w/e channels you don't have will arrive. Still at 1 time $500 price. Comprende.

6. This is the cable descrambler drf. It scrambles the premium channels not allowed straight to your HDTV. At Basic Channel Price. With card even better. Run a splitter to other TV etc...

Comment

• doctorhardware
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Dec 2006

That box was a cable box that had a hacked eprom that enabled the descrambler.
                              Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • May 2007

Guess so. It was strong too. They started shooting bullets at it about 8yrs. ago but it took them like a champ. About 3 or 4 yrs. ago they finally got to the pay per view and just about a lil over a year or so the premium channels wwere hit out. Now recently they finally tightened up w/the transition and took everything except the known local channels.

Think I laid out $140 or so back in '95 or '96. So $500 for HD not so bad, but I'm not interested. + new to market so don't really have any stats on how good they hold up yet.

Comment

Working...