X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Blu-ray prices dropping to DVD levels

More pointedly, a retail report published by Blu-ray.com has revealed that the price gap seemingly preventing Blu-ray from attaining an assured footing with consumers has taken a notable downward turn.

For example, online retail leader Amazon is now offering a great many of its Blu-ray titles for between $10 USD and $20 USD, which places the high-definition digital format just a few dollars adrift of widespread DVD prices.

Good news for consumers, bad news for studios because the whole point of Blu-ray was to stop the falling prices of home video. What's the point of having a more expensive, harder to produce format that makes less money than DVDs?

But Blu-ray.com may be jumping the gun a bit, because Amazon is currently having lots of promotions (paid for by studios/Sony) to promote Blu-ray, and so prices may not reflect the wider market.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I got a couple on Amazon for $16.99.. And conveniently, the price went back up to $20 soon after they arrived

I see no point in paying $35 for a movie on Blu-Ray (Talk about highway robbery... I paid $25 at Target for Transformers... this was AFTER a $10 off promo... it was $16.99 on Amazon!)... but if they're the same price as a DVD... I guess it makes sense. I'm still planning on primarily buying DVDs and just renting Blu-Rays as I get the urge to watch HD movies.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• BR7
      He is coming to your little town!
      • Aug 2005

I think selling Blu-ray at DVD prices is a smart move.Was it not the #1 bitch among consumers ? Now all they need to do is lower the players a bit more.

I also seen that Blu-ray movies might start releasing a week or two ahead of DVDs

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• ed klein
        Banned
        • Mar 2004

I am just very grateful we now TODAY have the ability to re-build any standard defination and high defination DVD disk anyway we want to.

We no longer have to put up with the likes of Sony, MPAA, and special interest groups telling us what we can and can not do with a DVD disk we own.

AND, as it has been said many, many times before, bring the cost down to purchase a DVD disk at the same price as it cost for you to re-build a DVD disk the way you want to, and ALL FORMS of piracy will disappear.

Picture of consumer hitting Sony over the head, but Sony can not see because of the greed for money.
        Last edited by ed klein; 14 Feb 2009, 04:51 AM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Wait, huh?

Blu-Ray has a DRM scheme even worse than DVD. They never said you can do whatever you want with it... it's just not more expensive than DVD anymore.
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• ed klein
            Banned
            • Mar 2004

What I said was, the technology is here, including circumventing DRM, to re-build a commercial Blu-ray disk anyway we want to. We, meaning the owners of the commercial Blu-ray disk and DVD fans.

AND, the owners of the Blu-ray disks SHOULD BE able to do whatever they want with the disks they own. Including re-building the disks they own.

I did not say, Sony, MPAA, and special interest groups approve of what we are doing, that takes money away from their corrupt practices.
            Last edited by ed klein; 14 Feb 2009, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• BluFan
              • Sep 2008

It was really only a matter of time before blu-ray prices fell across the board to DVD prices. I've been working with Warner Home Video on some blu-ray projects and know that they actually have a bunch of titles they've been selling for 20 dollars and under. They actually keep a list over on warnerblu.com. Check it out.

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

$20 is still a lot though, as I haven't paid more than $10 for a DVD in ages (here in Australia, converted to US dollars), most of the ones I've bought recently are around $6. Blu-ray is $25+ here, with some older releases under $20.
                Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...