X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

U.S. Army switching over to Windows Vista

The United States Army has announced the decision to upgrade hundreds of thousands of PC desktops from Windows XP to Windows Vista by 2010. This undoubtedly will make Microsoft happy, as sales of Vista were presumed to be never as high as they had hoped.

Has a country ever lost a war because it was too busy closing down UAC windows?
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Hmm... Maybe it's because I just saw Terminator Salvation, but I have a feeling this could cause a sort of Judgment Day... I mean think about it, all the sudden Vista crashes all the Army's computers, then the hackers get in, next thing you know our guard is down and someone can attack...

Yeah, it's probably just sci-fi. But I give it about a week before Army computers start dropping like flies.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• PurpleDemon
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Mar 2006

Wow!!

Does that mean they will have to repeat basic training?

Has a country ever lost a war because it was too busy closing down UAC windows?
      Well it seems the USA has a reputation to try and come out on top in everything. We'll see.

All seriousness, why the heck didn't they just wait for Windows 7? Maybe Microsoft gave them a sweet deal on Vista because sales are soft and XP is sill strong?

Wonder if it's 32 bit or 64 bit?

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by burrell84601
        All seriousness, why the heck didn't they just wait for Windows 7? Maybe Microsoft gave them a sweet deal on Vista because sales are soft and XP is sill strong?
        I think it's probably by the time that Windows 7 is officially released and fully tested by the DoD (probably in 2 or 3 years time), XP will no longer be supported in any way by Microsoft, and so it's either using an abandoned OS, or using a new OS that's won't have been tested properly. So Vista is the stopgap measure.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Woah, Microsoft supports OSes now?

Last time I checked their tech support reps just read from an FAQ available to anyone and provide 0 help whatsoever.

But that's news to me!!
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

I think if their customer has the power to launch a mini nuke strike on their HQ, then they will probably offer some tech support when requested.

Comment

• cynthia
              Super Moderatress
              • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by admin
              I think if their customer has the power to launch a mini nuke strike on their HQ, then they will probably offer some tech support when requested.
              That's real consumer power.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

Hmmm the first version, before SP1 like I got, bit. Since SP1 though, at least my Vista64 SP1 is really smooth. I don't even want to put SP2 on to break something. Feels like W7 without the superbar.

But I do have to admit I'd like to see a cartoon of a Fire Control officer trying to shoot down an incoming missile with an anti-missle, and the box popping up "Are you sure you want to do this? It could void your warranty." And the little check box - "don't ask me this again"

Comment

Working...