X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

ASCAP Now Claiming That Your Mobile Phone Ringing Is A Public Performance

Ah, those collection societies just never learn, do they? We've discussed in the past how ASCAP once threatened the Girl Scouts for singing songs around the campfire, but in the past few years it's been ASCAP's counterpart in the UK that's been in the news the most for things like threatening small business owners after calling them on the phone and saying they hear music in the background or threatening a stable owner for playing the radio to her horses. I guess ASCAP was feeling a bit left out. Its latest move is to claim that legally purchased ringtones on mobiles phones, playing in public places, represents a public performance for which it is owed royalties. Songwriters and music publishers already are paid royalties on ringtone purchases, but ASCAP is claiming that buying the file is entirely different than "the performance" (i.e., the phone ringing).
    Ah, those collection societies just never learn, do they? We’ve discussed in the past how ASCAP once threatened the Girl Scouts for singing songs around the campfire, but in the past few year…
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Budreaux
    • Jan 2006

In all honesty, the more they do this, the better it is for us.
    They are creating a reputation for the "world" to see, and it ain't a pretty one.
    They are just making it harder for themselves to look reputable in front of a judge.

Comment

Working...