X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

2K Resolution Film Screened using BitTorrent Streaming

A Norwegian movie theater has shown another use for BitTorrent, by streaming a 2K resolution movie (2048x****) at 19 Mbit/s using the Tribler BitTorrent client. This is an alternative way to distribute movies to theaters, the traditional way being through sending $2,000 hard-disks to theaters.

Now I don't know if this is actually a typo or not, but 19 Mbits/s is not that much data and I am not sure if it is enough for 2K movies for theater display. It's barely enough for Blu-ray, with many discs using around 30 Mbit/s. 19 Mbits/s is equivalent to about 2.4 MBytes/s, which should be achievable for those with good connections (not in Australia, or course). Now if they meant 19 MBytes/s, or 152 Mbits/s, then that's another story and there's no doubt that it is more than enough for 2K movies to be shown on the biggest screens, although it's a big cost for theaters to equip themselves with these kinds of connections.

More:

The MPAA has previously been critical of the negative effect it says BitTorrent has on the movie industry, but a recent experiment in a Norwegian movie theater shows that it might actually be of use to them. Researchers from The Far North Living Lab managed to stream a full 2K resolution film at 19mbit/s - with BitTorrent of course.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

Not south of Chicago in Illinois either.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• cynthia
      Super Moderatress
      • Jan 2004

Tried to find the numbers from the original source, but the server seems to be down at the moment.

Comment

Working...