Jailbreaking iPhone Could Lead To Terrorism (Or Something Similar)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Jailbreaking iPhone Could Lead To Terrorism (Or Something Similar)

Sorry for the sensational headline, but that's what I immediately thought of when I read about Apple's request to the US Copyright Office, which is considering legalizing the process of jailbreaking iPhones.

Apple says that this could allow hackers to launch denial of service attacks using the AT&T network. And a DoS attack on the AT&T network that disrupts communication, in my mind at least, could very well be the prelude to a serious terrorist attack.

A couple of problems here. Jailbreaking does not equate to DoS. Perhaps launching DDoS attacks could be one of the application of an unlocked iPhone, just like running over people could be an application of a motor vehicle. So should we ban cars as well?

Another problem is that even if the copyright office makes jailbreaking illegal, the hackers will still unlock the iPhones and launch their DoS attacks, it's not as if they need permission from the US Copyright Office to do so. And if the copyright office makes jailbreaking legal, then it is still a crime to launch DoS attacks, just like how computers are legal but using a computer to hack into the Pentagon is not. So should we ban computers as well?

And if, as Apple says, that the iPhone can be so easily made to "treat AT&T's cellular network like their own personal playground", then isn't that a serious design flaw for the iPhone? Could you at least make it so that an iPhone cannot be used to bring down the entire AT&T network just because someone installed a piece of software on it?

What Apple is really concerned about is homebrew software, free software that bypasses the Apple Apps stores which will serious hurt Apple's potential revenue. That's all they're worried about, not some imaginary attack on AT&T.

My opinion: If I'm made to pay thousands of dollars for a phone, you better make sure I can do everything I want to do with it.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Who uses AT&T or iPhones?

Just kidding... but I'd avoid those things like the plague anyway, iPhones suck for the phone part and isn't that kinda the point?!
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
      • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
      Who uses AT&T or iPhones?

Just kidding... but I'd avoid those things like the plague anyway, iPhones suck for the phone part and isn't that kinda the point?!
      No, not at all actually.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Why not just get an iPod Touch?
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• copyless
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Apr 2006

I say, Yes ban the cars and the computers.

Who uses AT&T, You do don't you. At least at one time what is now Verizon belonged to AT&T (the US parts anyway). Bell Atlantic and Vodafone (UK) merged in the late 90's to form what is now Verizon. Actually, if you go to some Verizon pay phones you can see that some of them still carry the Bell Logo on them. Not many things to do with mobile or land line phones could be carried out without the use of something that used to belong to AT&T. The "Baby Bells" were formed when AT&T diversified their company, as I know you were not around yet, but until the early 80's there was no phone company in the US other than AT&T. Just thought I'd let you know that AT&T laid all the ground work for others in the US.

I know none of the above has anything to do with much, but sometimes I like to ramble on with useless information.

I've never used an iPhone, but according to the fans of the iPhone, I thought they were like the best thing since the assembly line.

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

Most of the pay phones that are around me, are for the most part are gone. There are a few, but they are very few and far between. If I needed to use a pay phone I would have to drive at least 3 miles to use one.
            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Derree
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Jul 2005

I have thought about doing the whole jailbreaking thing on my touch, but it just doesnt really seem worth it...other then free apps...but really isnt the point of an ipod the music? I have the 8gb model so dont have alot of spare space for apps...now if I hadda splurged for the 32...
              sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
              good
              -------------------------------------------

Comment

• greenmatter
                • Aug 2009

i'm holding out till iphone on another carrier

Comment

Working...